AC will not turn on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC will not turn on.

Hi, I did a search and found nothing, but let me give you a run down on my issue.
    2006 Pontiac G6 3.5

- When I change the knob to 1 2 3 4 it blows out air with force corresponding to the number selected.

- When I push the snowflake to turn the A/C on, it does not respond, it does not light up. Nothing Happens, the air does not get any colder.

- When I try to change the way the air is coming out, vent / straight / floor. Nothing happens, it just blows straight out.

- I have swapped the following fuses/relays and found no luck, Under Hood/ air conditioner clutch (1), Run relay (19), air conditioning clutch(34). On passenger side relay box/ HVAC blower, HVAC Cntrl batt, HVAC cntrl ign.

I have not replaced the HVAC blower relay, due to no swappable replacements. Using google I read that the Ac will not turn on in the event that the r134a coolant level being low, is there any truth to that or is it just mumbo jumbo. Everything worked fine yesterday. Thanks for you help.

Re: AC will not turn on.

Do you have any CEL or warning lights on? Like you do in your sig picture?

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

No I do not have the check engine light on at all.

Comment

have you ever had the dash apart? sounds like there is a loose or not made connection

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

I have taken apart the climate controls years ago to install some custom lighting to match the guage cluster. But it has been since 2009 when i last took it apart and my a/c was working yesterday. I will take apart the climate controls again to see if there is any loose wiring or connections.

Comment

Originally posted by TristinX View Post
            I have taken apart the climate controls years ago to install some custom lighting to match the guage cluster. But it has been since 2009 when i last took it apart and my a/c was working yesterday. I will take apart the climate controls again to see if there is any loose wiring or connections.
            I'm going with loose connection also. It is true that the ac will not turn on in the event that the refridgerant is low due to the fact that the ac clutch will not engage. It also soind like if that is not your problem than it is a problem with the cluster.
            sigpic
            MY PROGRESSION:
            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Your A/C does have pressure senors, it won't activate if you are low. Did you look under the hood to see if the the compressor even engages, when turned on? You can buy a can from your local auto parts store that has a gauge on it.

Which vents are active? The face vents or is it the defrost vents? IIRC your car should default to the defrost position in case of a failure. That's standard as a safety measure.
              1972 F100
              1978 Twinstar
              1992 Miata
              2014 Mustang

Comment

ive never heard that default to defrost thing but im guessing you have a control head problem or something not low freon. if it was low freon you would stil be able to change vent position but since you cant do that OR turn on teh ac figure out the vent problem first then re evaluate the ac. plus when its in defrost i dont belive that the AC will activate

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Defrost uses AC to dry out the warm air. Otherwise there is a possibility for it to fog up the glass even more.
                  1972 F100
                  1978 Twinstar
                  1992 Miata
                  2014 Mustang

Comment

Sounds like a bad hvac control module

Comment

Just a really late update, it was the HVAC control module, bought a new one for $13 on ebay... all works fine now.

Comment

Working...
                      X