antifreeze smell....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antifreeze smell....

well today i washed up the car and upon cleaning the wheel on the passanger front i could start to smell that awful smell! i dont know about anyone else but i absolutely hate the smell of antifreeze! it always seems to mean $$$ and i hate it. i looked the engine bay over real good for awhile and can see no sign of any leaks but it could just be evaporating because of the hot temps and me just driving the car for awhile with the air on. i guess the next step would be to have the coolant system pressure checked am i right?? i surely dont want to ignore the issue cause antifreeze leaks in my opinion are nothing to mess around with.
    i can already see a huge shop bill now but i am crossing my fingers its nothing too serious.
    g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Re: antifreeze smell....

You have the 3.6 so probably not a head gasket. Maybe a heater core. Is your inside windshield fogging up?
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

my bet would be a radiator... seeing how they have plastic tanks that are just crimped on its pretty common across all makes and models nowdays to sometimes get radiator leaks around the tank to core conection

Comment

no fog on the winshield at all that i noticed anyway. when i get under the hood the smell is more prevelant on the passenger side twards the back or so it seems anyway...
        g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Comment

is the coolant level low? if its not i would keep an eye on it and if it doesnt go down i wouldnt worry about it .

Originally posted by SexyG6 View Post
          my bet would be a radiator... seeing how they have plastic tanks that are just crimped on its pretty common across all makes and models nowdays to sometimes get radiator leaks around the tank to core conection
          actaully radiators arn't that common. imore of them get replaced becasuethey get hit by something then because they leak

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

You could have it pressue checked, but as long as you arent losing coolant I wouldn't worry about it. i took mine in for a leak and it turned out there was a hairline crack in the reserve tank.
            sigpic
            MY PROGRESSION:
            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

yeah i check it once every day after i am done driving it and it has cooled off. if anything it may be just shy of half an inch low at most. will definately keep an eye on it and see what happens. i may just have the system pressure checked to be safe.

Comment

if its a heater core u would smell coolant through ur vent using heat or ac...and obviously it would fog up the winshield with defrost on

Comment

well i use a/c almost everyday and smell nothing and i even ran the heater awhile the other night just to make sure and no smell there either. antifreeze level still about the same....weird..

Comment

well it has been a week now and there is still something going on. the car runs at normal temps all the time with no signs of any leaks anywhere under the hood that i can see and i have looked around under there many times. also there are no drip spots on the ground but as of today with an almost cold engine this is what the fill tank looks like....

looks a little low to me wouldnt you say?

Comment

is that lower then it was when you first smelled it?

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                      Originally posted by snowmanG6
                      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

yes its lower than before.

Comment

It's like what happened to me when the head gasket blew on me, twice!!! .... Engine runs fine at normal temperature; No leaks that I can see; Coolant tank gradually getting low; Traces of white smoke constantly coming out of the tailpipe.

Comment

oh no!! i dont like the sound of that!!!!!

Comment

its a 3.6 i doubt its a head gasket.

Comment

Working...
                              X