antifreeze smell....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: antifreeze smell....

well thats good to know.....WHEWWWW!!!! i dont want to pay for a head gasket. i will check the oil when i get home tomorrow and make sure there is nothing in it. plus i dont know but i assumed that if i can smell it coming out somewhere it would not be leaking in anywhere such as a blown head gasket. either way im going to have it checked next week monday...
    g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Comment

someone told me i could have a bad intake gasket? i am not sure whats going on yet and need to get it looked at soon i know. the oil looks new, no white stuff, the coolant looks good no brown stuff and no visible leaks with car running at normals temps so i am as good as stumped...
      g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Comment

Originally posted by crownee View Post
        someone told me i could have a bad intake gasket? i am not sure whats going on yet and need to get it looked at soon i know. the oil looks new, no white stuff, the coolant looks good no brown stuff and no visible leaks with car running at normals temps so i am as good as stumped...
        whoever is telling you intake gasket on a 3.6 is completely ignorant about the 3.6, there is no collant running throu the intake manifolds on this engine at all.......when i had all the problems with the radiators in my GT (which were caused by head gasket issues i believe cuz it did it multiple times till i replaced the gaskets) head gasket should no be your issue on the 3.6) but it would seep out of the core-tank connection on the radiator and leave no sign of a leak until we put UV die in the coolant always started out with no visible leaks but the longer i would let it go itd eventually start leaving puddles, and from what i could tell only leaked when the car was turned off after it had been running it never seemed to leak while it was actually running

Comment

so what your saying is that it could be the radiator that is my issue? could it be a water pump? either way since i am not a mechanic and have never messed with anything like this my parents mechanic is going to look it over good thursday and let me know whats up. he is a very good guy and was the one to install me new cat converter for me and didnt charge hardly anything for labor so i hope that this issue is not too major... fingers crossed..

Comment

Originally posted by crownee View Post
            so what your saying is that it could be the radiator that is my issue? could it be a water pump? either way since i am not a mechanic and have never messed with anything like this my parents mechanic is going to look it over good thursday and let me know whats up. he is a very good guy and was the one to install me new cat converter for me and didnt charge hardly anything for labor so i hope that this issue is not too major... fingers crossed..
            im just saying that was my issue and that you couldnt notice any leak until later in time it got worse and would leave puddles a month or so after i first started noticing it loseing coolant as that is about the weakest link in the cooling system imo...... they even pressure tested it and found nothing, you you pressure test it when it was cold and see the puddle on the floor under it and itd test fine but would leake every time you have had it running and it then sat and cooled down... the only way they found mine the first time was the UV die this was all on my GT i had btw my gxp hasnt had this issue...

so if you can have them add the die as the pressure test isnt ALWAYS accurate....

Comment

Hopefully they can do the dye cause they are a small shop but I will ask for sure. Now if my water pump was the issue would it leave a spot on the ground or would it all evaporate? Maybe it's not that either I just don't know and want to have some kind of idea cause for now I'm just worrying.. Lol

Comment

well as of today the car was in the shope since thursday morning and there were no leaks found at all...just boggles my mind. they said they had the coolant system hooked up to 15lbs of pressure for a day and a half and there were no leaks at all so i guess thats a good thing. i still wonder though where my coolant went when the tank was low but ill just have to keep an eye on it i guess.

Comment

Did you ask them if they checked the cap? Could be the cap getting weak and allowing vapor to escape causing the smell and low coolant over time.
                  WAMS 91 tune,
                  Racingline MMI's
                  Chrome Intakes CAI (custom true ram air to come)
                  35% side tint, 20% rear, 5% strip
                  Debadged except GXP emblems
                  Tinted tails
                  Spyder tinted lights (complete rebuild + 4 projectors in design stage)
                  DDM 5k HID Low's
                  Polk 5000.5 amp, 12" Polk DXI sub, Pioneer 4way 6x9's. (complete system replacement soon)

Comment

true story....ill look into that thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X