3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    6 Speed Auto with Tapshift
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Granite Metallic

antifreeze smell....

well today i washed up the car and upon cleaning the wheel on the passanger front i could start to smell that awful smell! i dont know about anyone else but i absolutely hate the smell of antifreeze! it always seems to mean $$$ and i hate it. i looked the engine bay over real good for awhile and can see no sign of any leaks but it could just be evaporating because of the hot temps and me just driving the car for awhile with the air on. i guess the next step would be to have the coolant system pressure checked am i right?? i surely dont want to ignore the issue cause antifreeze leaks in my opinion are nothing to mess around with.
    i can already see a huge shop bill now but i am crossing my fingers its nothing too serious.
    g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Moderator Photobucket
    Photobucket
    G6 Post Whore
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.9L V6 LZ9
    Transmission
    4 Speed Auto with Tapshift
    Style
    Coupe
    Color
    Electric Blue Metallic

Re: antifreeze smell....

You have the 3.6 so probably not a head gasket. Maybe a heater core. Is your inside windshield fogging up?
    2006 GTP Coupe Status: Traded
    1/4mile est 14.57 @ 99 mph

2013 Mustang GT Status: The new car
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    GT500 Mufflers
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

BANNED Photobucket
    Photobucket
    G6er Addict

Name
    Brian
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GXP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Coupe
    Color
    Carbon Black Metallic

my bet would be a radiator... seeing how they have plastic tanks that are just crimped on its pretty common across all makes and models nowdays to sometimes get radiator leaks around the tank to core conection

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er
    Name
    Keith
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Granite Metallic

no fog on the winshield at all that i noticed anyway. when i get under the hood the smell is more prevelant on the passenger side twards the back or so it seems anyway...
    g6 gtp with a 3.6l vvt...tinted all the way around, custom upper/lower grill inserts, 8000k hid low beams, 10000k hid fogs, red brake calipers, custom engine cover silver flame stripes and icon outlines, led interior dome and map lights, red neon lights under dash and back seats, audiobahn 10" powered sub, crabs, racingline stb, grounding kit, mmi's, 91 wams tune, silver eyelids, resonator delete and magnaflow muffler with magnaflow tips, gtp windshield banner, larger custom made g6 performance decal on back window and custom front lip

Global Moderator Photobucket
    Photobucket
    G6er 4 Life!
    Name
    Andy
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GT
    Engine
    3.5L V6 LX9
    Transmission
    Style
    Convertible
    Color
    Liquid Silver Metallic

is the coolant level low? if its not i would keep an eye on it and if it doesnt go down i wouldnt worry about it .

Quote Originally Posted by SexyG6 View Post
    my bet would be a radiator... seeing how they have plastic tanks that are just crimped on its pretty common across all makes and models nowdays to sometimes get radiator leaks around the tank to core conection
    actaully radiators arn't that common. imore of them get replaced becasuethey get hit by something then because they leak

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmanG6 View Post
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Fly like a G6!

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Established G6er
    Name
    Matt
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    GTO
    Trim
    Base
    Engine
    6.0L V8 LS2
    Transmission
    6 Speed Manual
    Style
    Coupe
    Color
    Black
    XBox LIVE Gamercard
    ur 1 legged gma

You could have it pressue checked, but as long as you arent losing coolant I wouldn't worry about it. i took mine in for a leak and it turned out there was a hairline crack in the reserve tank.

MY PROGRESSION:
    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er
    Name
    Keith
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Granite Metallic

yeah i check it once every day after i am done driving it and it has cooled off. if anything it may be just shy of half an inch low at most. will definately keep an eye on it and see what happens. i may just have the system pressure checked to be safe.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er

Name
    Jordan
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Coupe
    Color
    Black

if its a heater core u would smell coolant through ur vent using heat or ac...and obviously it would fog up the winshield with defrost on

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er
    Name
    Keith
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Granite Metallic

well i use a/c almost everyday and smell nothing and i even ran the heater awhile the other night just to make sure and no smell there either. antifreeze level still about the same....weird..

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er
    Name
    Keith
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Granite Metallic

well it has been a week now and there is still something going on. the car runs at normal temps all the time with no signs of any leaks anywhere under the hood that i can see and i have looked around under there many times. also there are no drip spots on the ground but as of today with an almost cold engine this is what the fill tank looks like....

looks a little low to me wouldnt you say?

Global Moderator Photobucket
    Photobucket
    G6er 4 Life!
    Name
    Andy
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GT
    Engine
    3.5L V6 LX9
    Transmission
    Style
    Convertible
    Color
    Liquid Silver Metallic

is that lower then it was when you first smelled it?

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmanG6 View Post
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er
    Name
    Keith
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Granite Metallic

yes its lower than before.

Photobucket
    Established G6er

Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    V6
    Engine
    3.5Lvvt V6 LZ4
    Transmission
    4 Speed Auto
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Black

It's like what happened to me when the head gasket blew on me, twice!!! .... Engine runs fine at normal temperature; No leaks that I can see; Coolant tank gradually getting low; Traces of white smoke constantly coming out of the tailpipe.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er
    Name
    Keith
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP
    Engine
    3.6L V6 LY7
    Transmission
    Style
    Sedan
    Color
    Granite Metallic

oh no!! i dont like the sound of that!!!!!

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Medium-Rare G6er

Name
    Jordan
    Year
    Make
    Pontiac
    Model
    G6
    Trim
    GTP