Need to Replace Front Lower Ball Joints/Control Arms in 2006 G6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Replace Front Lower Ball Joints/Control Arms in 2006 G6

Does anyone have any helpful tips regarding replacing the front control arms on a 2006 G6. I found a helpful step by step guide on here but not sure if replacement is standard for all trims. It is not something I have done before but I am hoping to do it my self vs. paying $700 for a shop to do it. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for brands of control arms? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Need to Replace Front Lower Ball Joints/Control Arms in 2006 G6

WELCOME to the forum Natalie!

most brands should be the same. the step by step will be the same for ALL trims throughout the years of models. There are a few who can answer the question better then me, but I don't believe it is a very complicated process with the correct tools.

EDIT: You should stop in and introduce yourself in the new member intro section!!

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

It's not all that bad, I haven't replaced mine but I know they're like the Malibu's. The worst thing about it is the front bolt that holds the control arm. If I'm not mistaken you have to remove the lower motor mount which is only two bolts and support it with a 2x4 and a jack just to remove the bolt.. Other than that it's all gravy. And for which brand, really doesn't matter most are made by dorman anyways where you go, I think Autozone has lifetime warranty on there's.

OH and wercome to the crub!!!!
      WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M OUT OF VESPENE GAS?!?!?!
      I'm just one Asian with a American habit

Comment

I would go with Moog suspension for my control arms and Felix is right about the front bolt. The 3.6L is the only engine where you are not required to move the motor mount son both sides before removing the long bolt that slides through the control arm. All in all it isn't really that bad. Once you figure out how to do one side the other side is a breeze. I think I took like 4 hours on the first side. Then an hour on the other. Don't forget an alignment will be needed after changing these out so if you have any other suspension parts that are in question (i.e tie rod ends) I would go ahead and change those out too.
        sigpic
        MY PROGRESSION:
        http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Agreed: with everything everyone else said. I got the entire car off the ground and myself and a friend of mine did both front control arms in 12 beers or roughly 2 hours without the bathroom breaks... Lol deff save the money you'd pay a shop and spend $15 on beer instead.
          Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
          INDIAN WARRIORS
          1926-2010

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of the tips! This makes the job less intimidating! One more question...Are there any special tools that I will need (outside of the standard mechanics set) that I will need.

Comment

Negative nothing fancy at all, just make sure you don't over torque the bolts especially the ball joint ones!

Comment

You will need a ball joint fork. You can rent one for 15 bucks
                sigpic
                MY PROGRESSION:
                http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Originally posted by Neatong6er View Post
                  You will need a ball joint fork. You can rent one for 15 bucks
                  Ahh I did forget that, the one's I've been doing just kinda go off easy with a pry bar

Comment

Originally posted by ForeignAsian View Post
                    Ahh I did forget that, the one's I've been doing just kinda go off easy with a pry bar
                    Ditto.... A 4 foot long crow bar purchased from Home Depot came in handy.... The control arm pried off with marginal effort

Comment

I have the same squeaking on the front passenger side, guess I am in to replace mine too. Thankfully I am in good with my local Midaas and they will let me use a bay and tools to fix it. They thought it was the suspension which I replaced and it is still there.
                      2008 G6 GXP 3.6L Coupe - Street Edition - Black

Mods: All the usual suspects

Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by justeric78 View Post
                        I have the same squeaking on the front passenger side, guess I am in to replace mine too. Thankfully I am in good with my local Midaas and they will let me use a bay and tools to fix it. They thought it was the suspension which I replaced and it is still there.
                        Don't discount the possibility of squeaky subframe bushings. Those are typical maintenance items in most cars that are so equipped, and your relatively massive subframe, supporting a sizable 6-cyl and transmission is fixed to the chassis by (only) 4 bolts thru those bushings. Newgmparts.com or other online gm parts sites can save you half the cost of the bushings. Replace the bolts while you are at it.

Btw: my subframe is down, so replacing the bushings is a casual matter. But there must be a way of doing this job without totally removing the subframe. I suspect that 1) if the engine support is fixed in place above the engine, 2) if the lower ball joints are separated from the hubs 3) steering tie rod ends are disconnected (will probably require new ends because the bolts will need cutting for removal), 4) the motor mounts will all require unbolting (not as hard as it seems), 5) loosen the steering rack bolts and support it (yes, its possible with subframe in place), and 6) then loosen the subframe bolts and allow the subframe to lower. Then replace the bushings and reverse the above. Anyway, you can do every above step, BUT I haven't tried the part about replacing the bushings without the subframe being fully removed from the chassis. It seems like the clearance should be adequate with a lowered subframe, but just can't say so based on experience.
                        Last edited by mjpate; 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Just did the arms on my sedan took about 30 mins to do it. Got the car on the lift few bolts later and they were off. The bolt by the mount was the hardest one to do but I was able to get it out with out removing the mount. Mind you I also had a hoist and a few grand of top line tools and 2 mechanics and me doing it . I got the dorman's from rock auto there lifetime on them and while I was in there I did the link kits as well

Comment

Working...
                          X