V6 Engines Only: Change automatic
    transmission fluid and filter (severe
    service only). Every 50,000mi
    See footnote (h)...
    (h) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the
    vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
    conditions:
    − In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
    regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
    − In hilly or mountainous terrain.
    − When doing frequent trailer towing.
    − Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
    service.
    If you do not use your vehicle under any of these
    conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing.
    (Copied from 6-6 & 6-8 )

Is the manual telling us that it never needs changing if not driven in those conditions?
    Nowhere does it mention a "normal" trans service for the 3.5L.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Originally posted by Highonchai View Post
      The manual for my '08 3.5 states:
      ...3.5L (Code N)
      V6 Engines Only: Change automatic
      transmission fluid and filter (severe
      service only). Every 50,000mi
      See footnote (h)...
      (h) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the
      vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
      conditions:
      − In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
      regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
      − In hilly or mountainous terrain.
      − When doing frequent trailer towing.
      − Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
      service.
      If you do not use your vehicle under any of these
      conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing.
      (Copied from 6-6 & 6-8 )

Is the manual telling us that it never needs changing if not driven in those conditions?
      Nowhere does it mention a "normal" trans service for the 3.5L.
      You should change it every 50,000 miles. over time the fluid breaks down and becomes thick from the breakdown of the fluid from the heat. if the fluid isn't changed over time the fluid will turn into this gummy substance that will stick to the moving part in the transmission. The goal is to keep the fluid in a like-new liquid state so that it cools properly. I've changed my fluid at 55k and then every 20k miles thereafter. At 110k miles I put a transmission cooler on the tranny and it helped a great deal with shifting as-well as increased the life of the transmission.

My recommendation, if you have over 50k miles on her get a tranny flush. in my eyes the tranny is a investment; take care of it now for a long life or pay out the ass later on to get it fixed. At 100k get the filter changed and tranny flushed.

I'm a bit paranoid and keep my G6 very well maintained but everyone is different. Hope this helps.
      Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

I took my G6 the dealer to have my transmission flushed and filled at around 52k in November 2012 and I ended up having to have my transmission rebuilt at 68k in August 2013 at the same dealership because a band broke that aids in the shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It was covered under warranty so it wasn't that big of a deal. So I'm not sure if this service actually helped me. Maybe I was the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmage View Post
          You should change it every 50,000 miles. over time the fluid breaks down and becomes thick from the breakdown of the fluid from the heat. if the fluid isn't changed over time the fluid will turn into this gummy substance that will stick to the moving part in the transmission. The goal is to keep the fluid in a like-new liquid state so that it cools properly. I've changed my fluid at 55k and then every 20k miles thereafter. At 110k miles I put a transmission cooler on the tranny and it helped a great deal with shifting as-well as increased the life of the transmission.

My recommendation, if you have over 50k miles on her get a tranny flush. in my eyes the tranny is a investment; take care of it now for a long life or pay out the ass later on to get it fixed. At 100k get the filter changed and tranny flushed.

I'm a bit paranoid and keep my G6 very well maintained but everyone is different. Hope this helps.

Okay, I'm obviously a little late to the game here about this. I was under the impression (from reading elsewhere I believe) that I would be fine waiting until I hit 100K to get this done. (I just went over 100K this wknd.) Have I been screwing this up all along? Also, I don't think that I have the necessary "know-how" to attempt to try and do this myself at this point. Would the dealership be the best place to have this done, or do other places offer this as a service?

I'm wanting to mainly just do what I can to keep the car in good shape and make it last. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated by any members on the board.
          -- Whatever doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger. --

Comment

You'll be fine to change it, mine never had it done until last summer when I was at about 95k miles.

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
            Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

Originally posted by philko80 View Post
              Okay, I'm obviously a little late to the game here about this. I was under the impression (from reading elsewhere I believe) that I would be fine waiting until I hit 100K to get this done. (I just went over 100K this wknd.) Have I been screwing this up all along? Also, I don't think that I have the necessary "know-how" to attempt to try and do this myself at this point. Would the dealership be the best place to have this done, or do other places offer this as a service?

I'm wanting to mainly just do what I can to keep the car in good shape and make it last. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated by any members on the board.
              go to the GM-certfied dealership and have them do the flush. If anything happens to the tranny you can blame them

....it's the only thing I go to the dealership for....

btw.... when they do the tranny flush make sure they use the BG ATC fluid; BG is wonderful stuff, if you ever have a problem with your tranny BG will cover up for $2000 for repairs, so ask for it!

while your at it ask them for a BG MOA treatment to the engine....

a few of us use BG MOA/44K every oil change and swear by it, ask the dealership about BG they will probably be shocked you know since it's a hush hush. Make sure no one else is around when you ask or they will deny it exists. The cans costs between 16 to 22 each but the dealership charged 50 to 70 dollars for the "tune" up's they perform by simply using a super awesome liquid!

Scope out this thread when you have time:

Last edited by Deathmage; 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM.
              Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Working...
              X