Transmission Fluid Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

ive always used 100k miles as a bench mark for not doing it. ive done them above 70k with no problem

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Our transmissions are filled with long-life fluid so under normal driving conditions it should be good for 100k miles.
      Regular transmissions in general the fluid should be changed at least twice as often.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom View Post
        Our transmissions are filled with long-life fluid so under normal driving conditions it should be good for 100k miles.
        Regular transmissions in general the fluid should be changed at least twice as often.
        so.. 140K..?

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick View Post
          so.. 140K..?
          Hey I'm due too. Slipping like a bitch at 55K.
          1972 F100
          1978 Twinstar
          1992 Miata
          2014 Mustang

Comment

I'm thinking of having this done on my 05 G6 as I'm approaching 100k, the dealer wants 243 for a flush, filter, and fill. I called another local shop and he said on the high end it would be 340 if he had to use the new seal kit and was estimating 16 quarts of fluid, the dealer service guy I talked to said 'they use Dexron 8 or whatever it's up to now'. I just don't want to get taken, this is one of the things I can't do myself/

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
            Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

Changing your own fluid is easy. Its the filter that can be a real bitch. IDK how it is on the 4t45e though.
              1972 F100
              1978 Twinstar
              1992 Miata
              2014 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by Dextar View Post
                I'm thinking of having this done on my 05 G6 as I'm approaching 100k, the dealer wants 243 for a flush, filter, and fill. I called another local shop and he said on the high end it would be 340 if he had to use the new seal kit and was estimating 16 quarts of fluid, the dealer service guy I talked to said 'they use Dexron 8 or whatever it's up to now'. I just don't want to get taken, this is one of the things I can't do myself/
                Hello Dextar,

I understand how frustrating it can be to price services at the dealer. I could call the local dealers in your area to compare prices for you. Private message me if interested.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
                GM Customer Care
                Available 8:00am-4:30pm
                Monday-Friday

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Comment

my owners book says 100k for trans fluid service I checked the dealer and he agreed that's what is recommended. Their price was 299+ tax ouch. Id still like to get it done tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Drakon543 View Post
                    my owners book says 100k for trans fluid service I checked the dealer and he agreed that's what is recommended. Their price was 299+ tax ouch. Id still like to get it done tho.
                    GM is full of shit on their Dex6 service life claims. Seriously change that stuff at 50K. They didn't even exaggerate on it, they just out right lied.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                    1972 F100
                    1978 Twinstar
                    1992 Miata
                    2014 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by JJT*90 View Post
                      GM is full of shit on their Dex6 service life claims. Seriously change that stuff at 50K. They didn't even exaggerate on it, they just out right lied.

ive seen PLENTY of cars go 100k miles without changing their fluid

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                      Originally posted by snowmanG6
                      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn View Post
                        ive seen PLENTY of cars go 100k miles without changing their fluid
                        Cars have also gone 20k+ without changing the engine oil. That doesn't make it a good idea.

1972 F100
                        1978 Twinstar
                        1992 Miata
                        2014 Mustang

Comment

i am at 124+ miles and i am not willing to drop 500 + dollars for a change

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Customer_Svc View Post
                            Hello Dextar,

I understand how frustrating it can be to price services at the dealer. I could call the local dealers in your area to compare prices for you. Private message me if interested.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
                            GM Customer Care
                            I'll hit you up on this, just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my money since I can't do the work myself.

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
                            Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

Originally posted by Dextar View Post
                              I'll hit you up on this, just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my money since I can't do the work myself.
                              Hello Dextar,

I hope you had a great holiday weekend. Was the one quote for the flush helpful? I could try again now that Memorial Weekend is ended.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
                              GM Customer Care
                              Available 8:00am-4:30pm
                              Monday-Friday

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Comment

the flushes are worth every penny. every time i go to a dealer and talk to the mechanic he tells me my trans is like a new car. last time i got the flush the tech said there were no metal scrapings in the pan to speak of. with the way my trans feels (WHEN MY CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR AND WHEEL SPEED SENSOR ARE'NT FAILING ME) I estimate Its got another 100,000 miles in it ,maybe even more if I keep flushing it every 2-3 years

I mean seriously, these cars are designed in such a way to do one thing. MAKE YOU SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED CASH ON IT.

with that being said you have 2 options once your g6 reaches 60k miles or turns 5 . the first. continuously and religiously flush your trans . spreading out spending what you would on a new trans over the next 5 years and increas it's life by additional 5 years.

OOORRRRR you could completely blow off all your maintenance and pay what you would have on flushes all at once when your tranny fails after 7-10 years and you drop in a new unit

the bottome line is, if you know you drive your car hard like I do. then flushing often is the right move for you. If you drive your car like a grandpa on his way to pick up the kids from soccer then waiting until it dies with maybe one flush in between may be the right choice for you. environment facters in as well
                                Last edited by samurai; 05-31-2013, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X