How To - change spark plugs and wires on a LX9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To - change spark plugs and wires on a LX9

just done doing the plug and wire changes. they are really a POS to do especially the back ones.
    to make others' life easier, i decided to do a to-do even i know there a bunch of similar threads. there are a few tips from my 5 hours' struggle. and hopefully with those tips, you can get it done in much less time than i did.

1. if you have just driven your 6, let it cool down for at least 45 minutes. by doing so, you wouldn't get hurt by the massive heat; more importantly, the torque applied on the plugs in normal temperature will decrease after being heated up. as a result, if you do it when the motor is hot, it will be over-tighten when the motor cools down.

2. if your motor is cool, you need to remove the intake piping to start working. (i think there's a to-do on that?)

3. there are a few plastic clips hoding the spark plug wires. use a screw driver to pop them open.

4. after the above steps, you should see where the front three wires go to. underneath each there is a spark plug. there are three on front.

5. pull the plug out. this is where all your working out pays off. you may twist while pulling to help it a little bit. a plug wire puller from any hardware store will help a lot. if all those fail, use a knife to cut the rubber connection (you wouldn't need those old wires anyways.) to get it off.

6. after the connection to the plug is off, follow the wire and find the position of the other end of the wire, which is connected to the distributor cap. get that off too.

7. now one wire is off, now use a socket wrench to get the exposed plug out.

8. use the same socket wrench to install a new plug into position. remember to hand tighten it first in case you mess up with the threads.

9. apply plenty of elctric grease in both ends of the new wires. electric grease will make your next plug and wire change much easier at the same time it amplifies electirc current. push both ends in to position. one on the plug and the other on distributor cap. when you hear or feel the click, it's tightened.

10. do not remove everything before start intalling, because YOU WILL MESS UP. just remove one and install a new one. follow the procedure and you will be alright. as installing is the reverse procedure of removing, i will now talk much into that.

11. after the front three is done, the back ones are a lot harder to remove. if you have STB, remove that.

12. remove the coolant tank. it's a plastic tank holding red/yellow/brown liquid. do not pull too hard. lift it and pop it out. there are two lines attached to the coolant tank. pull the bottom line off the tank. and move the coolant tank to somewhere not blocking your way.
    some people choose to remove the distributor caps. i am not recommending that, because i think it's a lot harder.

13. now you find it a lot more comfortable to reach to the back with the coolant tank out the way. you will need to be on the front of the vehicle and get down like you are hugging the engine. your right arm should have plenty of room to stick back there.

14. follow the procedure as removing front ones. remember to get one done before start doing another. you will have to follow your hand not your eyes most of times. a puller, again, will help you a lot when it comes to the back.

15. after all the changes are done. remember to put everything back together. i almost forgot put the line back that i pulled off under the coolant tank. just double check everything before you close the hood.

that's all i can think of right now. if you have more tips suggestions, you are more than welcome to post it here as i will add it to the thread.
    Last edited by wzbhnn; 11-30-2011, 08:42 PM.

Crab intakes with Crab claws
    Resonator delete
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system
    Racingline strut tower bar
    Tinted taillights
    18' Enkei Razr's with 225/45/18 Toyo Proxes
    Painted calipers

Re: How To - change spark plugs and wires on a LX9

Will add this to my master list!
    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

:
      sigpic
      MY PROGRESSION:
      http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Most of it is common sense, but pictures would be wonderful.
        2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
        GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
        Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

yeah i know it's a pity i didn't take any pics. but i will try to post some pics later showing how to remove the coolant tank.

Crab intakes with Crab claws
          Resonator delete
          Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system
          Racingline strut tower bar
          Tinted taillights
          18' Enkei Razr's with 225/45/18 Toyo Proxes
          Painted calipers

Comment

Im gonna put new plugs in tomorrow. Im not looking forward to it.
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

blah i gotta change the plugs n wires too not looking foward to it at all!!! would rather listen to the wife b!tch for a few hours...wait what am i talking about she does that anyways lol

Comment

You are a hero! Thank you so much, this definitely saved me a lot of time and a huge headache.

Comment

Does one need new wires? I just want to know if using the same wires wil work fine?

Comment

I reused mine. I checked them real good and they looked fine.
                    If yours are burned or look bad then replace is a must.
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by 05G View Post
                      Does one need new wires? I just want to know if using the same wires wil work fine?
                      if your careful and don't ruin them.. you can probly reuse no probs.. kingsbourne made a set just for us tho

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Can probably reuse yours. I didn't notice anything worn when I changed mine.

I know a few of us are running Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2mm spark plug wires

Comment

well im kinda tight on money so ima try to be careful and see if i can resure them. This will also be my first time changing them so i just want to be careful too.

Comment

Working...
                          X