Light engine knocking at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light engine knocking at idle

i just bought my 08 G6 2.4L with 122990 KM and it has a slight knocking noise while its idling. it seems to go away when i accelerate but i dont know what it is. at first i thought maybe the gas because Gm calls for 91 octane and i had 87 inthere but then i put some 94 in there and its still knocking. it sounds like a very low volume helocopter lol.
    <<<<<BROTHERNEWF>>>>>

Re: Light engine knocking at idle

how is your oil pressure and level?

Not to create panic, but knocking at idle. when the engine is just spinning and not doing anywork usually means problems

Comment

Oil level is good plus its got 56% oil life left. I am going to take it to a gm dealer and hopefully its something that's covered under the powertrian warranty!!!
      <<<<<BROTHERNEWF>>>>>

Comment

I'm pretty sure that 4 cylinder runs on 87 octane... Where does it call for 91 octane? The only one that would need that (maybe) is the 3.6L
        2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
        GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
        Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

The G6 2.4L calls for 87 regular. No G6 trim calls for 91-93 octane

Only the 2.4L G5, Colbalt SS (non supercharged) calls for 91-93 octance but they are also like 10 more HP.

Knocking is strange. I belive you are hearing something that sounds like knocking but isnt, if that makes sense. The new engines with the knock sensors will hear a knock well before any person can. And if the sensor is malfunctioning a check engine light will come on.

Without more info, I would maybe think at that milage you are hearing the valves. Might have a bit of valve tapping going on, that could sound like a minor knock and will go away under load.
          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
          Gotta have it Green color
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack
          GT500 track pack differential cover
          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Get that car to your GM dealer, engine its covered under powertrain warranty. Be prepared to present envidence of oil changes.

An audio file will help a little here, but these engines are quite loud at idle.
            The knocking sound dull or its has some sort of high tone to it?

Comment

Its hard to say, its sounds low but seems to be getting worse. As for the proof of oil changes, I don't have any as I just got the car last friday. Its going in to the dealer tomorrow morning and if its serious and not covered I'm goin back to where I bought it and having somethin done there. I know there is a 30 day consumers warranty regardless of what you buy.

Also there is a squeeking noise comming from the rear whenever I hit bumps and its getting anoying. I wonder if the seals are dry....hmmm..
              <<<<<BROTHERNEWF>>>>>

Comment

does it do it when it cold? does it knock right away when u stop? also can u hear it just by opening the hood or is audible from inside the car?

Comment

Its more noticable when its up to tempature and more so when its in park or nuetral
                  <<<<<BROTHERNEWF>>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by brothernewf View Post
                    Its more noticable when its up to tempature and more so when its in park or nuetral
                    so it does it when its cold too correct?

Comment

Hot really. Just when its up to operating temp
                      <<<<<BROTHERNEWF>>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by brothernewf View Post
                        Hot really. Just when its up to operating temp
                        mine makes a sound similar to that. its pretty much the exact same thing you described but im not worried about it since it doesnt do it when its cold. so idk

Comment

Not to sure myself. Its at the gm repair center right now. Well see what's wrong and I will post!
                          <<<<<BROTHERNEWF>>>>>

Comment

just let me know that would be great

Comment

So what did the dealership say? My first thought was your idle air line being clogged but if its an acctual knock then its something more serious. Im curious what they said (especially since I own a 2.4)

Comment

Working...
                              X