Window Tint on Chrome Door Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Tint on Chrome Door Trim

Has anybody tried to put window tint over the Chrome Trim on the doors? I read on here some people used Black Vinyl Tape and Painted it. Would the Tint work and give it that Black Chrome appearance?

Re: Window Tint on Chrome Door Trim

I used vinyl pin striping. It was professional grade 2mm cast.

Have you seen it?? Its like $15 to do your whole car.
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Where could I pick some of that up?

I was gonna try the Window Film since I have a roll of 3M Film Setting around. I know people use it on Taillights so was gonna try it on the Chrome and see how it looked. If it didnt work I would just remove it. I got the roll from work it was left over from a job so its not costing me anything.

Comment

Don't paint it whatever you do. The paint will never stick to the chrome, even if you bake it on.

2006 Black G6 2.4 - Sold
        2007 Chrysler 300 Touring 3.5L - Current

Mods: AFE CAI, Red Calipers, Halo Projectors
        Mods Planned: Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust, Eibach Springs, BBK Shorty Headers, E&G rear spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by Jacquel View Post
          Don't paint it whatever you do. The paint will never stick to the chrome, even if you bake it on.
          ^THIS
          I tried it, and it didnt stick, started to chip very soon. Get some black-out tape or similar

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

I may have some left. It takes 12'.6"' to do a 4 door sedan.

MODS:

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon View Post
              Thanks! I am thinking about doing this this weekend. Just wondering if I should wait till after I get my windows tinted or do it before?
              2008 G6 GT w/ Monsoon Sound System

Current Mods:
              Debadged, Tinted Tails(to be redone with window tint), Intake Res delete, Matching Painted Engine Covers and Badge Overlays, G6P decals, Eyelids, chrome upper and lower grills

In the Works:
              Racingline STB, Tint(next month)

Future Mods:
              Lowered on Eibachs, CRABs, Rims, Painted Calipers, Spoiler, MMIs

Comment

Originally posted by BORN2SKI View Post
                ^THIS
                I tried it, and it didnt stick, started to chip very soon. Get some black-out tape or similar
                how long did it take to start chipping? Mines been good so far

Comment

hey pooners where did you pick up the Vinyl Pinstriping you used?

Current Mods:
                  Debadged, Tinted Tails(to be redone with window tint), Intake Res delete, Matching Painted Engine Covers and Badge Overlays, G6P decals, Eyelids, chrome upper and lower grills

In the Works:

Future Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Dmanj View Post
                    how long did it take to start chipping? Mines been good so far
                    yeah same, ive had no problems with mine so far. its gone about 6 months through the winter with it
                    Visual Mods: Back half 5% tint, Front half 15% tint, Eyebrow 5% tint, Windshield 35% tint, Rain guards, Debadged, Arrowhead overlays, Painted engine covers, LED tails, 6K Lows, 8K Highs, 6K Fogs Painted grilles, Painted window trim

Performance Mods: CRAB intake, 18" Toyo Extensa x 4, RacingLine STB, RacingLine Grounding Kit

Audio Mods: Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P5100DVD, Front Speakers: Memphis 6 1/4, Rear Speakers: Memphis 6 x 9, Subwoofers: Kenwood KFC-W3012 12" x 2, Amp: Kenwood KAC-8105D 500W

Progression Thread -
                    http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18428

Comment

lampoon,

could you let me know where to get some of this or if you have any left and how much you would want for it shipped to 62295 zip code.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacquel View Post
                        It all depends on the prep. Sand 600-800 grit wet or use a purple Scotch pad , primer, sand, primer, paint, clear, let air dry. You can also use an adhesion promoter that is mostly used for plastic.
                        PS3 -Mischief24

Comment

Originally posted by GREYGTP View Post
                          lampoon,

could you let me know where to get some of this or if you have any left and how much you would want for it shipped to 62295 zip code.
                          I got two rolls of 15 foot left. Just Paypal me $15 and Ill ship it to you.
                          You need to take your time though. This is the good stuff. It has the waxish paper you peel then you apply the vinyl
                          AND THEN you peel off the clear on top. Do not take the clear off till its applied. It keeps the vinyl flat, wrinkle free (till applied)
                          and it prevents it from folding onto itself.

Here is a copy of the old thread on it. ***old pix of my car so dont freek out!! ***

Found some nice 3/4" pin striping from a body shop friend of mine.

Its professional grade 2 mil. cast vinyl.

Scissor,razor blade and patience is all thats needed.

Now keep in mind it has been raining here off and on for 3 days so she isnt as buff as normal.

It passed the Mrs Test. She thought I removed the Chrome.

Now for the durability testing.

I will update this in 6 years and tell you how its working.
                          Last edited by Lampoon; 03-31-2011, 06:09 AM.

MODS:

Comment

I'm gonna use that duplicolor shadow chrome on my recessed grilles and probably try and do the door chrome also. Probably your best bet unless you want to completely black it out
                            Current: 2015 Volvo s60 t6 awd r-design platinum

Former: 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9L Sedan Silver loaded w/ GT-R Exhaust, CRABS CAB Intake w/ FPU, AIT Carbon Fiber hood & roof wing spoiler, GM Ground Effects Kit, Eagle Eyes black CCFL halo projectors, 18" Konig Airstrike rims, shadow chrome recessed upper/lower grilles, 35% tint all around, tinted tails, Kenwood Excelon X497 Head Unit, R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors, silver door plate sills, Racingline STB, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires, custom GTP floor/trunk mats, gm carbon silver interior trim kit, CF dart & pillar overlays/plate bracket, rs-1 cf/silver pedals, red calipers w/ GTP logos, chief badge replacements, red/silver painted engine/battery covers, windshield washer relocate

Comment

Originally posted by ESU06GTP View Post
                              I'm gonna use that duplicolor shadow chrome on my recessed grilles and probably try and do the door chrome also. Probably your best bet unless you want to completely black it out
                              +1 i am doing this at the same time i do my rims

Current Mods:

In the Works:

Future Mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X