Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight help

Hi All,
    Today I've developed a new problem: My passenger side headlight low beam bulb will not come on. Normally one would think replace the hedlight, but I also noticed the passenger side parking light does not work too. I checked the fuses under the hood, and noticed the #9 mini-fuse (passenger side low beam) was blown. I replaced it and it blew right away.
    Wire short somewhere? Anyone else ever experience this little PITA?
    Is it possible if the headlight blew on the passenger side it's creating a voltage draw and blowing the fuse everytime I try to replace the fuse?
    Thanks,
    Adam

Re: Headlight help

sounds like a short to me. check all your wiring and see if there is a bad spot somewhere. the repeating fuse blow is a dead giveaway.
    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

check teh bulb might be something wrong with it

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Thanks guys for your prompt reply. I'll try pulling out the headlight housing, check the wiring and report my findings. I think I'll replace the bulb anyway just to rule out the possibility that the bulb has gone sour.

Adam

Comment

Too bad you aren't near me. I have like 4 sets of the low and high beam bulbs, as well as a few parking bulbs.
          2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
          GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
          Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

Okay,
            I've changed both bulbs (parking light and low beam) and the problem persists. When I unplugged the head light harness, I counted 4 terminals, and the 5th one, the one sort of in the middle looked burned and corroded. Is there supposed to be 5 terminals where the headlight connects to the wiring harness?

Comment

Take a picture. It shouldn't be corroded. I don't think that would cause your problem though. Either the terminal works or it does. why would it blow a fuse and also cause two bulbs to not work?
              2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
              GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
              Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

if its burnt thats problebly your problem. its shorted and blowing the fuse

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Got it! Thanks for your help, guys.
                  There should be five terminals in the main connection, one of my terminals rotted away for some reason. I cut the wire on each side of the connector and installed a butt type connector instead. Replaced the fuse and voila.

Thanks again!
                  Adam

Comment

I am having the same trouble with my '08 G6- terminals are getting wet, corroding and the headlight will go dim and the turn signal will not work so it flashes double-speed on the dash indicator. It is a PITA. All bulbs are good as well. I think the best solution to keep it from happening again is to clean the terms good and use a dielectric grease. Yesterday I had the black wire hanging loose as it corroded and fell off soI used carb cleaner to rip through the corrosion and grease to keep connections dry after I opened and re-crimped the pin connector. Hope this solves it...
                    dstryr, since 1986.

Comment

And, it didn't solve it. Right front connector is burned up. Left is corroded so bad it won't last long.

Please go herehttps://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and report your headlight connector failures. It is a major safety issue and GM should warranty it.
                      dstryr, since 1986.

Comment

Are you guys putting any electrical grease on these terminals when you reinstall them?

Comment

I did, but some of the connector pins were too far gone by the time I found the problem. I stopped at CarQuest today and picked up some 18-20ga bullet connectors and cut the factory plugs off and put on the new connectors with dielectric grease. Nice to have headlights. I called a local GM dealer and he said too bad, out of warranty with 50,000 miles. Didn't feel like getting my lips ripped off in their service dept so hope this works long-term. Will report back if it doesn't work through the spring(rain, moisture, etc.)
                          dstryr, since 1986.

Comment

Working...
                          X