Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to resurface/cut drilled and slotted brake rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to resurface/cut drilled and slotted brake rotors?

I have the R1 Concepts rotors that are drilled and slotted. I have been very happy with their braking power, even on the race track. However recently they have started to pulsate just like the GM stock rotors do after a little while. They took longer than the GM rotors to start pulsating and are definitely 1000 times better than GM rotors.

My question: Is it possible to have the stealership cut these rotors just like they cut stock rotors? Will it cause problems with the holes? Will the rotors crack or something?
    sigpic
    Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Re: Is it possible to resurface/cut drilled and slotted brake rotors?

It can be done with a convential brake lathe or an on car brake lathe. I believe carquest does it if there is one near you. If you're still in doubt look it up online and see for yourself. I have Disc Italia Slotted Rotors on mine, no issues yet on them since they're still new.
    Roku's Mods: K&N air intake system, Eibach lowering springs, 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Postion Tires, 18in OZ Ultraleggera wheels (black), Disc Italia brake pads and slotted rotors, debadged, 30% window tint, Eagle Eye headlights (black), DDM 6000K HID low headlights, Notto SE 10000K HID fog lights, LED taillights, Koni shock absorbers and front struts, Racingline strut tower bar and grounding kit, Sirius Satellite Radio, BMD front end links, BMD steel braided brake lines, Brembo four piston front brake calipers, MPD ram air hood (body color), upper and lower recessed grilles (body color) GM Ground Effects kit (body color), Hammerhead flushmount spolier (body color), Customized Pontiac Concept Dart (Black w/ Carbon Fiber), Remin carbon fiber dash kit, WAMS ECM 91 Octane Tune, Borla pro xs dual muffler exhaust with vibrant resonator
    Roku's progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...36&pagenumber=

Comment

It depends. If only requires a few thousands to resurface then it can be done. If your talking about .010 thousands now your getting questionable.

The downside on resurfacing cross drilled and slotted rotors is your taking away the depth of the slots which will alow for more heat build up. So each time they get resurfaced there going to lose more and more heat transfer ability
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

It can be done. But I have seen that the machine is different. Instead of a metal point shaving the surface, they use a stone like block and fluid. The rotor is spun much faster than the traditional machine

Comment

Any of your reputable brake shops, or stealerships, can tell you if yours can be turned. SO yes, if they aren't too bad, they can be turned.

GL,
          ominousone

Comment

Working...
          X