Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• improving fuel mileage on a 3.9L

I've got the 3.9L 2006 GTP

what can i do to improve it's fuel mileage? I get 17 avg. (these are my calculations based on the gas and miles, not the computers) around 21ish highway and 15 city.

I don't have a cold air intake or aftermarket exhaust, but what are some things that would be recommended to increase the mpg?

thanks!

Re: improving fuel mileage on a 3.9L

A tune is the only thing left that you can do really. You will need higher octane gas but you *might* get 1mpg or so out of it because its a more efficient and complete burn.

I used to get that same gas mileage in my GTP 3.9L Sedan. Sucked. Absolutely nothing I could do about it. Funny thing is when I traded it in for the GTO w/ 6 speed... I'm not getting better gas mileage in the GTO by 1-2mpg.
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

I'm lazy about it so I just go with what the computer says. I have Injen cold air intake and custom exhaust, and I use cheap gas. All that and I get a combined 22.5 - 23 MPG (depending on how I drive) Oh yeah, I too have the 06 GTP Coupe.
      Traded in G6 GTP 17 September 2012 for 2011 Musang GT 5.0L 6sp manual.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

Get Honor, Stay Honor

Comment

drive like a grandma, dont let the RPM's get about 2500, use cruise control and try coasting whenever possible. I have a 06 GTP and I get about 20mpg. I work in the mountains. about a 3,500ft in altitude climb every day.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
        Originally posted by ahuhn
        so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by SergeantGrunt View Post
          I'm lazy about it so I just go with what the computer says. I have Injen cold air intake and custom exhaust, and I use cheap gas. All that and I get a combined 22.5 - 23 MPG (depending on how I drive) Oh yeah, I too have the 06 GTP Coupe.

maybe it's because you have the coupe and it weighs less? that's just my guess.

i'll look around for some things to do.

i'm just 17 and i mainly drive to school and back, but one night with my gf is 50 miles, and we usually hang out twice a week. that's what sucks it down :P

Comment

Twice a week 100mi roundtrip to school. 4 days a week 30mi roundtrip to work. 320mi/week. Thats assuming I don't go anywhere else. Anywhere but in town it's at least a 10mi drive there and another 10 back. All hilly area too. Thats how I got the 17-19mpg in the G6. GTO it's 18-20mpg same trips.
            2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
            Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
            2005 CGM GTO.
            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

I have an 06 GTP couple 6 speed. I get great mileage on the highway (high 20's low 30's) but I think I can attribute that to the LONG 6th gear. 120 KPH is just 2100 RPM.

I have intake, exhaust and tune though.
              sigpic

Comment

75mph at 2100rpm is good. at 75mph (120kph) Im at 2500rpm

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                Originally posted by ahuhn
                so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6 View Post
                  75mph at 2100rpm is good. at 75mph (120kph) Im at 2500rpm
                  Yeah, one of the good things GM did with the 6 Spd ... LOL
                  sigpic

Comment

My tune didnt get me better gas mileage. I lost a couple MPG's....
                    Even when I took it easy.
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon View Post
                      My tune didnt get me better gas mileage. I lost a couple MPG's....
                      Even when I took it easy.
                      Mine did ... but I have to keep my foot out of it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just gotta deal with it. I have about the same figures with exhaust/intake, average around 20 since having car. I do have more fun than I should with the gas. Worst right now in winter I get 17-18. On average mix of highway/country around 20. Best I've ever got up to really trying was like 23. The only aspect that I enjoyed better about my Cobalt was fuel mileage, but I didn't really have that in mind getting the GTP. Just wanted decent mpg with a fast V6
                        Current: 2015 Volvo s60 t6 awd r-design platinum

Former: 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9L Sedan Silver loaded w/ GT-R Exhaust, CRABS CAB Intake w/ FPU, AIT Carbon Fiber hood & roof wing spoiler, GM Ground Effects Kit, Eagle Eyes black CCFL halo projectors, 18" Konig Airstrike rims, shadow chrome recessed upper/lower grilles, 35% tint all around, tinted tails, Kenwood Excelon X497 Head Unit, R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors, silver door plate sills, Racingline STB, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires, custom GTP floor/trunk mats, gm carbon silver interior trim kit, CF dart & pillar overlays/plate bracket, rs-1 cf/silver pedals, red calipers w/ GTP logos, chief badge replacements, red/silver painted engine/battery covers, windshield washer relocate

Comment

Im 29-31mpg but I have the 3.5

Form the historical looks of things that 3.9 likes to drink.
                          Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                          Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                          WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

I have an 08 GT, I get 22ish city 17 if I'm racing around and 32 highway. I just put crabs on so I haven't had much time to see the difference, I'm driving home this coming weekend for spring break so I will get to see the highway changes for sure 7 hour drive !!! YAY!

Current Mods
                            -------------
                            G6 Black on Red Mats
                            Tint: Front 20%/Rear 15%
                            Raptor H.I.D. kit 5000k Fogs
                            Raptor H.I.D. kit 4500k Lows
                            Interior red L.E.D.
                            1000W Speaker & Amp
                            Crabs Option 3
                            Painted Calipers Red
                            Dual Custom Exhaust
                            Halo Angel Eyes

Upcoming Mods
                            ---------------
                            Need Ideas

Comment

Stock I use to get 18-19 MPG. When I got a PCM tune for 93 octane on summer grade fuels I get an average of 20-21 MPG. But on winter grade fuels am still 17.5-18.5. But you have to run premuim fuel.

My thoughts, K&N panel filter for 50 dollars-ish and dont let the car over 3K RPMs as the VVT I have noticed over the years really guzzles fuel over 3K RPMs.
                              Last edited by dre256; 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM.
                              2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                              Gotta have it Green color
                              Brembo brake package
                              420 HP 5.0L
                              Ford Racing Power Pack
                              GT500 track pack differential cover
                              BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Working...
                              X