No announcement yet.

06 G6 GTP - Life expectancy? Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 G6 GTP - Life expectancy? Problems?

I have a 06 GTP 3.9L 4 speed automatic, 51,000 miles. The transmission is in questionable condition and doesn't shift the smoothest. I just had a flush and had high hopes of that and a small trans line leak taking care of the problem but I still feel as if the trans isn't the greatest. I ran across a few things about the 3.9L engine being on the undesirable side. Is this because cobalts have similarities with the smaller engines? Since the ~4,000 miles I've owned the car I've had to get 2 oil leaks repaired, 1 trans leak repaired, and have a questionable transmission. Are there commonly know flaws with these motors or transmissions? I already know about the intermediate shaft having problems which I can live with, but I cannot live with significant problems in the engine and drivetrain since I plan to keep this car for an extended period of time. I love my first black car with nice 18" rims, great handling, leather, sun roof, heated seats, and steering wheel controls (nice upgrade from my 99 accord), but I'm leaning towards getting rid of the car. I imagine that advice is going to be baised on an enthusiast forum so I'm asking for people to be honest with themselves.
    06 Black GTP Sedan 3.9L Auto Tap
    -Eagle eye projectors, 6000K HID
    -LED Tails
    -Racingline Performance strut tower brace and MMIs

Re: 06 G6 GTP - Life expectancy? Problems?

I have heard that the 06 in specific has had a lot of problems. I also have heard (for all years) that the transmission isn't exactly built out of gold - I have a 09 with 65k+ miles and the transmission is in need of some attention. I would assume the car should last a good 150-200k if not more though IMO
    Semper Fi - David Hall - 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Blue 4-Door

Performance: CRABS 03 and FPU, Resonator Delete, RL Strut Tower Bar

Appearance: Debadged - Window Tint 35% front 18% back - Emblem Overlays - Door Sill Overlays

Comment

I give the car 75K before the trans goes. I give the whole car not more than 120K. carcomplaints.com list a lot of power steering issues. If it happens I can deal with that, it's not exactly a huge repair. I've also ran across a member on her on his 4th or 5th head gasket within 50K, which is probably a case of poor machining or constant warping from overheating.
      06 Black GTP Sedan 3.9L Auto Tap
      -Eagle eye projectors, 6000K HID
      -LED Tails
      -Racingline Performance strut tower brace and MMIs

Comment

the power steering problems are associated with the electric system yours has hydraulic. I got my new transmission at 62k, mine was slipping bad and would only go in manual mode. Dre is the one that has had no luck with his car at all. I have had warped rotors, bent a rim, low coolant once, and a random misfire and or misfire in cylinder 1 every once in awhile. 74,500 miles on it and has been good to me for 5+ years and 68k miles latter.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

I owned mine up to 65K.. and it was a rental prior to me, so you know it was beaten on. I had not one leak in from the engine or trans. I will admit the trans was not the best and it had some super sloppy shifts for an auto... but I also had my Electronic throttle body shorting out which caused most of my issues. I would have thought mine would last a good long time if i could have kept it.

I will add to this that my power steering pump and tie rods all went bad at the 40K mile mark... but again I just blame it to being a rental and people beating on it since I had to fix a quite of few things after aquiring the car due to abuse.

Comment

Signs of abundant poor quality parts and material are painfully evident with my 07 G6. I don't expect my car to last more than 10 years without self-destructing. But I do love it still with the way it looks and drives. I baby my car and I would buy another one mainly because the G6 is dirt cheap on the used car market. It would be a 4 cylinder model as I am sick of the gasket issues with the V6.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom View Post
              Signs of abundant poor quality parts and material are painfully evident with my 07 G6. I don't expect my car to last more than 10 years without self-destructing. But I do love it still with the way it looks and drives. I baby my car and I would buy another one mainly because the G6 is dirt cheap on the used car market. It would be a 4 cylinder model as I am sick of the gasket issues with the V6.
              Is yours an 07 gtp? Ive heard that the LY7 engine is rock solid. Are the trans problems just on the 4 speed? I havent heard of any problems on the 6 speed.

Comment

i have not had one problem with her, then again i take care of her do all my own work, oil changes, tire rotations, its getting to be 5 years next year since 07 radiator flush will be done, i did have a winning power steering, figured it might of been low changed fluids and haven't had anything since. about to roll onto 40k tho, 50k is the magic number it seems
                2007 Pontiac GTP...8000k HID's Low Bean...3000k HID's Fogs...Crab Intake...Custom LEDs ...Tint...Drilled and Slotted Rotors...Recessed Upper and Lower Grilles...Eagle Eye Headlights...Tinted Tails

Comment

Originally posted by UrW0rstNightmare View Post
                  i have not had one problem with her, then again i take care of her do all my own work, oil changes, tire rotations, its getting to be 5 years next year since 07 radiator flush will be done, i did have a winning power steering, figured it might of been low changed fluids and haven't had anything since. about to roll onto 40k tho, 50k is the magic number it seems
                  I baby mine as well. do you mean 50k miles as in when problems start occuring?? haha

Comment

No problems with my 06 GT. I am at 125K and no leaks and I did a trans flush around 80K. No major issues only around 120K the water pump wet bad, started leaking.
                    MODSGT-R, HIDS 6000K, 8000K FOGS, 35% TINT, K&N INTAKE, CRAB HEAT SHIELD, Cquence Rotors

Comment

Originally posted by BL07GTP View Post
                      I baby mine as well. do you mean 50k miles as in when problems start occuring?? haha
                      haha yes, it seems once people hit that 50k mark shit goes down the drain. the only problem i had was my sunroof leaked, i fixed it with my dad for the 3rd time then finally said you know what im just taking it to the dealer and having them just throw new longer hoses in it
                      2007 Pontiac GTP...8000k HID's Low Bean...3000k HID's Fogs...Crab Intake...Custom LEDs ...Tint...Drilled and Slotted Rotors...Recessed Upper and Lower Grilles...Eagle Eye Headlights...Tinted Tails

Comment

I had a 06 GT never had any problems except with my steering and I had it from brand new for 4 1/2 yrs not even a leak. then I rolled it

CARDOMAIN ................ PROGRESSION
                        08 G6 GXP 20/10% tinted windows including 10" 10% brow,
                        Crabs Intake Opt. 3 w/ FPU, Angel Eye Halo Projector Head Lights,
                        Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, Powder coated grilles, Raceingline STB,
                        & Riken Raptors ZR 245/45-18's.
                        TO BE INSTALL:
                        Cquence Rotors, ceramic brake pads & paint calipers black
                        92 LX Notchback mustang ~ Mods: 50 series flowmaster exhaust, 373 gears
                        LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 2006 G6 GT
                        http://www.epicimpressionsphotography.com/

Comment

I also have a 06 GTP coupe....
                          I curse everytime I step in it.
                          Crappy craftmanship, very unreliable, questionable front suspension, crappy MPG, crappy tranny and drivetrain, good for nothing brakes and hard to find tires.
                          Not to mention the list of problems, noises and reliability issues I have with it..

My advice to you, give it in trade in, get on something better, non GM preferably.

I am at 44500 miles and the tranny is acting up too.

My other car, a Vitara 02 have more than 88k and the tranny is working flawlessly.

Thanks GM for contining to give us a crappy car.

Comment

my trans clutches went out at 40k - ish and are starting to go out again.. Other than my current CEL at 70k for a emissions valve i have been somewhat clear of problems. I do live in MI and the roads suck so I go through suspension components quite frequently but I have not had any major motor problems to date. The weakest part of these cars I believe is the tranny.

That being said I am on the hunt for a GXP sedan to trade up a bit...

my 05 gt sedan has had no problems other than the power steering failure at 98k miles that was covered under warranty.
                            -Tim
                            2013 Chrysler 300 S V6 8spd auto
                            2009 G6 GT Sedan - Brothers ride
                            2008 G6 GXP Sedan - Sold @ 51k
                            -5% Tint all around
                            -Bridgestone Potenza RE760 245/45/18's
                            -Racingline STB
                            -Eibach Springs
                            2006 G6 GTP Coupe - SOLD @ 70k
                            2005 G6 GT Sedan - SOLD @ 99k

Comment

Originally posted by UrW0rstNightmare View Post
                              haha yes, it seems once people hit that 50k mark shit goes down the drain. the only problem i had was my sunroof leaked, i fixed it with my dad for the 3rd time then finally said you know what im just taking it to the dealer and having them just throw new longer hoses in it
                              I dont know man the 3.6 with the 6 sp. is supposed to be an extremely well built drivetrain. I dont think we have to worry to much. I know theres alot of problems with the 06 Gtp and their drivetrain. funny thing is i just got my leak fixed with the moonroof yeaterday. Other than that it seems like its a great car to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X