No announcement yet.

06 G6 GTP - Life expectancy? Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 06 G6 GTP - Life expectancy? Problems?

Originally posted by timweb View Post
    my trans clutches went out at 40k - ish and are starting to go out again.. Other than my current CEL at 70k for a emissions valve i have been somewhat clear of problems. I do live in MI and the roads suck so I go through suspension components quite frequently but I have not had any major motor problems to date. The weakest part of these cars I believe is the tranny.

That being said I am on the hunt for a GXP sedan to trade up a bit...

my 05 gt sedan has had no problems other than the power steering failure at 98k miles that was covered under warranty.
    Do you know if the 06 gtp had the same tranny as the all the other 3.5s have? I know they are all 4 sp. tannys.

Comment

Originally posted by BL07GTP View Post
      Do you know if the 06 gtp had the same tranny as the all the other 3.5s have? I know they are all 4 sp. tannys.
      not sure, I would assume it is a more heavy duty trans for the GTP, and with maybe different internals but im not 100% sure.
      -Tim
      2013 Chrysler 300 S V6 8spd auto
      2009 G6 GT Sedan - Brothers ride
      2008 G6 GXP Sedan - Sold @ 51k
      -5% Tint all around
      -Bridgestone Potenza RE760 245/45/18's
      -Racingline STB
      -Eibach Springs
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe - SOLD @ 70k
      2005 G6 GT Sedan - SOLD @ 99k

Comment

Originally posted by timweb View Post
        not sure, I would assume it is a more heavy duty trans for the GTP, and with maybe different internals but im not 100% sure.
        i just cant believe u guys are having tranny problems at less than 50k miles.

Comment

I dont know man the 3.6 with the 6 sp. is supposed to be an extremely well built drivetrain. I dont think we have to worry to much. I know theres alot of problems with the 06 Gtp and their drivetrain. funny thing is i just got my leak fixed with the moonroof yeaterday. Other than that it seems like its a great car to me.
          i would have to agree with you on the drivetrain, my sunroof i never had a problem with it for the first year i had the car, i noticed people were having problems and even saw a youtube video about it, till one day my buddy sat in the passenger side and was like dude my seat belt is wet, that was the first time i had an issue, im guessing it was from the drain getting lose... im just wondering is that 4 speed tranny the same as the grand prix and such or am i wrong, maybe ill look that up now... im going to guess they are different
          2007 Pontiac GTP...8000k HID's Low Bean...3000k HID's Fogs...Crab Intake...Custom LEDs ...Tint...Drilled and Slotted Rotors...Recessed Upper and Lower Grilles...Eagle Eye Headlights...Tinted Tails

Comment

Originally posted by UrW0rstNightmare View Post
            i would have to agree with you on the drivetrain, my sunroof i never had a problem with it for the first year i had the car, i noticed people were having problems and even saw a youtube video about it, till one day my buddy sat in the passenger side and was like dude my seat belt is wet, that was the first time i had an issue, im guessing it was from the drain getting lose... im just wondering is that 4 speed tranny the same as the grand prix and such or am i wrong, maybe ill look that up now... im going to guess they are different
            no idea on that one.

Comment

4T65-E is in the 06 GTP

4T45 is in the GT

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe_GTP View Post
                4T65-E is in the 06 GTP

4T45 is in the GT
                And I think that the 06 GTP tranny is the same as the bigger FWD GM cars

the thing problem I think is that the tranny is well built but the controls are just crap. Every long term review says that the "reluctant to downshift" problem, the "what gear I would use now" symptom and the worst, "I will downshift when I like to do it" affects all GM fwd cars of that year.
                I wonder if the newer trannies have the same issue with those.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP View Post
                  And I think that the 06 GTP tranny is the same as the bigger FWD GM cars

the thing problem I think is that the tranny is well built but the controls are just crap. Every long term review says that the "reluctant to downshift" problem, the "what gear I would use now" symptom and the worst, "I will downshift when I like to do it" affects all GM fwd cars of that year.
                  I wonder if the newer trannies have the same issue with those.
                  Man that sucks. What other kinds of problems are you having besides the tranny issues?

Comment

Me....
                    minimal oil leak on the rearmost head, driverside
                    lots of noise from the front suspension.
                    clunking whenever I put the car in drive or reverse, not engine mount related.
                    auto headlight turns on but not off, even in direct sunlight.
                    water accumulation on the AC evaporator area, not internal leaks
                    noise from the front plastic part where the defroster vents are.
                    driver seat recliner level broke, drops everytime I open the door
                    front headlight, passenger side, the bumper overlaps the headlight.
                    front hub bearing starting to go bad (today)
                    first to second gear change skips or sputters whenever it changes at wot or near wot.
                    unstable idle
                    and of course, all the other crap that happens to everybody....

other than that....the car is fine at 44587 miles!!!

Its for sale..... who wants it?

Comment

Unfortinally, the 06 3900 GTP is not the best car GM made. IMO, its junk. I bought my 06 3900 GTP 4spd auto new. Has 35K miles on it and have 4 headgaskets, intermedate steering shaft, and rack-n-pinnon all done. I have put a tad under 4K dollars in repairs over the last 16 months. And my control arms should be replaced but putting it off untill atleast next fall. One of my tranny cooling lines are also seeping out of the radator but not leaking so ignoring it.

The 4spd auto is a great transmition or a terrible one. When the G6 GTP came out there was some issues where under 2000 miles or so some 4spds lost 3rd gear and had to be replaced right away. Some people do have some tranny issues and complaints but there minor. Biggest issue with the 3900 is the head gaskets. The rear head gasket wasnt designed well from GM and near a 100% failure rate and will need replaced. Once replaced with the updated gasket and head bolt torque specs the head should be fine. But am having all types of issues still (but am the only one that I know of having this in-depth issues)

My BIG advice, if you dont want to put money into the G6 you need to get rid of it before the issues pop up or you will need to fix them before you trade in.

The GTP tranny is totally diffrent then the GT tranny. The GTP tranny is supose to be much better, plus rated at 280 HP and 280 lbs of torque as the GT is a weaker tranny and rated only at 220 HP.
                      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                      Gotta have it Green color
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack
                      GT500 track pack differential cover
                      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Dre, I don't think it's fair to say that the 3900 has major head gasket issues. Yes, you've had your issues, but honestly, we can't say whether it was caused by a poor mechanic or something else. A couple of other people have had the issue, but it is by no means wide spread.

Food for thought: All of the transmissions in the G6 were rated for lower power ratings before they were put into the G6. Suddenly GM Powertrain upped their ratings to match the maximum engine output that they were being used for.

As many issues as I've had with my GTP, I have to say that it is the most reliable car that I've ever owned. My Grand Am went through two sets of lower intake manifold gaskets, two window regulators, many bearings, two windows (scratched by the door), about 14 brake changes (!!!!!!!!!!), and many other minor little things. It was slowly bleeding me dry. My Sunfire before that was even worse. $10,000 in repairs in the first two years I owned it which were thankfully all covered under the extended warranty I purchased.

The G6 has had transmission issues that weren't fixed correctly the first time, eventually requiring a new transmission. Gasket leaks that quite possibly were caused by the mechanic who tore down my engine due to me mis-shifting on the highway (BTW, my loss of oil seems to have slowed to almost not noticable since I switched from Mobil1 to regular oil) . A leaking sunroof related to the drain tube as well as an improperly installed dealer accessory. Other than that, pretty much everything has been normal wear and tear. My mileage on the G6 is almost as high as I had the Grand Am at before I sold it and I'm on my third set of rear brakes (2 brake changes) and only my second set of front brakes (1 brake change).

My car is 5 years old. I expect it to have issues at this point, but if I thought it was a money pit, I would have traded it a long time ago.

sigpic
                        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000 View Post
                          Dre, I don't think it's fair to say that the 3900 has major head gasket issues. Yes, you've had your issues, but honestly, we can't say whether it was caused by a poor mechanic or something else. A couple of other people have had the issue, but it is by no means wide spread.
                          Am not going to search it out to drag out this conversation or have any want to argue with you, but am going to disagree with you on the head gasket issue. But there has been alot of 3900 GTP owners that have had head gasket issues. I would prob say I would bet 50% of the 3900 GTP guys have. The 3900 convertables dont have the issue due to they have the updated head gaskets and they have reduced engine power. I will agree alot of my head gasket issues is due to poor mechanics from the dealership to my mechanic. It should have only been done once.
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Not to throw wood into the fire and don't take any offense to this... are you sure you are not thinking of the 3500 owners with the head gasket issues?!! I've heard more people with the 3.5's having head gasket issues since the engine is similar to the 3.4's that the grand am's had and tend to have the same gasket issue. For the 3.9's I really only recall your car being the one with multiple head gaskets ( which I think one you said was a mechanics mistake) All the other 3.9's on the board that i can recall I don't remember anyone else having those type of issues... then again I could be mistaken because members come and go on this forum so I can easliy lose track of things and who had what done to what car...etc.

I can only vouch for my car when i owned it.... and at 65K, everything was stock under the hood ( other then the PS pump and throttle body) I had no leaks, no causes for concerns. My only other repairs was tie rod ends, and my computer froze causing a CEL that would not go away showing a loose gas cap code only to find out i had another 3 more codes hidden because of the frozen computer.... otherwise I feel this car was more reliable then the honda I drive now. but thats just me.

Comment

To add to my list...
                              2 more oil leaks... front and aparently the rear seal.

i will be soooo happy when I trade my car in!!

Comment

I have an 06 G6 GTP and currently sit at just over 80,000 miles. I had my first flush done today. I have had no problems with the engine at all. Besides today's flush, the only thing I have done is oil changes. I bought this car new and have had all the oil changes done on time, but that's it. Seems to be running the same as the day I bought it.
                                Done: G6 2009.5 spoiler, Eibach Springs, Disc Italia cross-drilled and slotted rotors, Disc Italia ceramic brake pads, GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, GM body kit, G6 GXP Street Edition Hood, recessed upper/lower grilles painted matte satin silver, red brake calipers w/decals, 35% tint
                                Electric Blue body color matched: Stock GTP rims on inner portion only, Racingline strut bar, engine cover, battery cover & interior trim pieces

My Progression Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X