LED Wiring through the cigarette lighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Wiring through the cigarette lighter

So I've been thinking about adding LEDs into my footwells (blue to match my car) and I know how to remove the panels on my central dash except I do not know how to get to the cigarette lighter which is beneath the panel that you remove to get to the radio and climate control, I plan on splicing the cig lighter to use as my power source. Any help would be very appreciated.

its a Diode Dynamics kit I plan on ordering, it comes with a switch 2 12" lights and the wiring with splicer thingy.

Re: LED Wiring through the cigarette lighter

Sounds great...
    Just a warning though, the cig lighter is constant power meaning whether the car is on or not the LED's will have power. You are risking draining your battery if you forget to turn them off.
    If you really want to power the LED's to be constantly on (or any way for that matter), I would suggest instead to use an add-a-circuit (or add-a-fuse) and power them directly from the fuse pannel.
    When do you want the lights to be on, and turn off?

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

The kit that I'm ordering comes with a switch to turn the lights on and off, that was one of the first problems with me wiring it I was gonna try to use the fuse box but my friend's brother said it can mess up your electric system if you mess something up. Thats why I'm looking to order the kit with the switch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDssF...eature=related ,is the kit I'm planning on ordering, there is a universal kit, its just not for Tibs
      Last edited by JBmoney; 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM.

Comment

you can mess up your electrical system if you screw up at the cig lighter too...
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

As with any modification of anything, electrical, engine, appearance or otherwise, there is always a risk of messing something up.
          Just make sure you have a multi-meter and know what you are doing before cutting, or splicing.
          With an add-a-circuit/add-a-fuse, you add a new fuse which is dedicated to the LED's and it is located directly at the fuse pannel. This means that if there is a problem anywhere in the new circuit, the fuse will blow right at the beginning of the new circuit.
          The neg side of the new circuit goes to a ground near the fuse pannel.
          While I am by no means an expert in electrical wiring, IMO the safest thing to do is to NOT tap into an existing circuit but to add one, this is what I have done for both my LED's and hard wired GPS circuit.
          And keep in mind that. By taping into the fuse pannel, you are able to have the LED's only powered when the car is on, or only when the doors are open, which will prevent draining your battery. And you can still add a switch in these cases for more control.
          Ultimately the final decision is up to you, this is just my 2cents.

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

I want mine to have a switch on it, mostly because my parents don't want me to have the lights on all the time so they said I have to add a switch. So if I want it to only run when the car is on what fuse do I run it to? Also if there is a guide anywhere on the website that does a fusebox power source with a switch that you know about can you link it? Thanks for the help.

Comment

im running mine through the cig lighter under the radio, i drilled into the center console where my switch is located so it is nice and clean, ill snap some pictures tomorrow morning and upload onto here
              2007 Pontiac GTP...8000k HID's Low Bean...3000k HID's Fogs...Crab Intake...Custom LEDs ...Tint...Drilled and Slotted Rotors...Recessed Upper and Lower Grilles...Eagle Eye Headlights...Tinted Tails

Comment

Awesome, that'd help alot, I might put my switch where there is that empty space to the left of the steering wheel where the gauge brightness is.

Or I might just get this kit cause it seems alot easier if I run it to my battery and it comes with a switch.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Last edited by JBmoney; 12-29-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

you can see where i drilled into the center console

thats where i hid wiring and spliced them into the cig lighter, there is a fuse in that long white connector came with the whole unit, i got it off ebay for like 30 bucks, ill look through my emails to try and find what the companies name was

little blurry but i have them under the driver and passenger seats and yes i know she is really dirty!

if you want more pics ill be glad to take some and under the seats.
                  2007 Pontiac GTP...8000k HID's Low Bean...3000k HID's Fogs...Crab Intake...Custom LEDs ...Tint...Drilled and Slotted Rotors...Recessed Upper and Lower Grilles...Eagle Eye Headlights...Tinted Tails

Comment

Thats a nice place to put the controller. I think I'm going to wire it from my battery and run it through the firewall/fenders. Just need an inline fuse and I'll be good I finally bought these

LEDGlow’s 4pc 7 Color LED Interior Lights Enhance the Inside of Any Car or Truck with 7 Solid Color Illumination Modes Combined with Lighting Effects.

the red wires go to my powersource/grounding but I'm going to connect them to elongate the wires so i can mount my controller and put the control box in my center console like you did.

Comment

just use a add-a-circuit like BORN2SKI said. easily the simplest way to do it. I have mine hooked up that way and they work flawlessly. This is what it looks like.

And its much simpler to wire it as you dont have to go through the firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by JBmoney View Post
                        Thats a nice place to put the controller. I think I'm going to wire it from my battery and run it through the firewall/fenders. Just need an inline fuse and I'll be good I finally bought these

LEDGlow’s 4pc 7 Color LED Interior Lights Enhance the Inside of Any Car or Truck with 7 Solid Color Illumination Modes Combined with Lighting Effects.

the red wires go to my powersource/grounding but I'm going to connect them to elongate the wires so i can mount my controller and put the control box in my center console like you did.
                        thats the company i used, everything is wired and done up right so all you have to worry about is power and placement. plus they pulse at different rates of speed and stuff, you can have them go to the music but it picks up vibration through the controller so it isn't very practical

Comment

So with the add a circuit where do I put it if I always want the power to the LEDs on whenever the car is on? The wire is the positive correct? Do I put it in an empty fuse slot? My friend and I are going to put this in next Saturday so if this method is easier I guess we might do this

Comment

no. you take a fuse from the fuse box that says "ignition" beside it on the kick panel label. pull it out and put it in the add-a-circuit. Then you add a new fuse to the other spot on it and put the whole thing in the spot you pulled the original fuse from. and yes the wire is positive

Comment

So basically its splitting one fuse into two and i just take the positive wire from my kit and crimp it into the wire from the fuse.

Also what size should be the new fuse I'm buying be?
                              Last edited by JBmoney; 01-01-2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X