Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Altered6 Progressions

Originally posted by Jordan5150 View Post
    Big brakes are sexy. If you dont mind how much did you shell out for them. I need brakes on my 6 bc my oem style rotors are warped beyond belief.
    The Baer Claw Track kit is $995 and I opted for the two piece rotors for an additional $300. OUCH! I know but I wanted to keep weight down and the extra eye appeal. Shipping expense was also brutal.

I was in the same situation as you are now. My OEM rotors were warped and I didn't want to replace them with the same crap knowing they would warp again in short time and I didn't want to wait for Bear to develop a brake kit for the Epsilon platform cars (G6, Malibu. Aura etc.). A number of members have already done the Cobalt/Brembo brake swap. So I tried a different direction.

As mentioned the kit is for a Cobalt so some creative customizing is required. 0.250" stainless steel spacers had to be made to center the calipers on the rotors properly. This mod in turn made the bolts supplied with the kit too short and the next available size was too long so they had to be trimmed. The braided stainless steel brake lines that came with the kit are usable but are too short. What I mean by this is the lines are long enough to safely turn the wheels from lock to lock but the car can only be jacked up using the control arms because if the proper jack points on the chassis are used there will be enough suspension travel to snap the brake line. When I return from vacation I intent to have a custom front and rear set of stainless steel brake lines made and installed.

While I am thrilled with my Baer brakes performance and visual appeal the Cobalt/Brembo brakes are a better bang for the buck. If you can find them they are available for a fraction of the price of the Baer kit, provide a similar level of performance if not more and from what I understand the installation is easier.

Current Mods
    245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...
    Altered6 Progression Page

Comment

wow that's a lot of work man, :!!
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963 View Post
        wow that's a lot of work man, :!!
        Thanks LoJ it was worth it. One groovey thing I have noticed since installing the new brakes is no more nose dive except under hard braking.
        Current Mods
        245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01 R, 245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, Eibach springs, Debadged, Recessed upper grills, GTP rear valance, GXP exhaust, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, K&N air filter, GMPP strut tower brace, Steering wheel stereo controls, Baer Cobalt 13" front brakes, Cobalt SS 11.75" rear brakes, Stainless steel braided brake lines front & rear, Leather steering wheel, Recessed lower grills, Leather shifter handle, Leather parking brake handle, Leather console lid cover, Volant intake, PIAA H9 & H11 Xtreme White Plus headlights & driving lights, 93 octane tuned ECM & TCM, Custom painted headlights, Motorsport Tech wheel adapters, C5 Corvette 17" x 8.5" wheels, Koni Sport struts and shocks, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor plug wires, Racingline polyurethane motor mount inserts...

Comment

@Altered6-Wow those front brakes look sick ... those upper recessed grilles look great with those wheels btw

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine View Post
            @Altered6-Wow those front brakes look sick ... those upper recessed grilles look great with those wheels btw
            Thanks I appreciate the complements.
            Current Mods

Comment

@Altered6- your welcome keep up the good modding

Comment

first time lookin at your progression and your are coming along nicely, how much for the Baer Brake upgrade and the SS rear brakes? I would like to do another brake upgrade in time. Im just running the R1 concept crossed drilled and slotted with EBC red stuff. but would enjoy more brake power.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                Originally posted by ahuhn
                so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6 View Post
                  first time lookin at your progression and your are coming along nicely, how much for the Baer Brake upgrade and the SS rear brakes? I would like to do another brake upgrade in time. Im just running the R1 concept crossed drilled and slotted with EBC red stuff. but would enjoy more brake power.
                  Thanks big bunches Snowman. The Baer Claw Track kit is $995 and I opted for the two piece rotors for an additional $300. The rear Cobalt SS brakes I found on EBay for $225 from a company called Morad. Unfortunately this company only sells items on EBay at a fixed price so bidding was not available. I could have saved a bundle here if I'd had the time and patience to wait and search around but I wanted to get at this brake project ASAP. Shipping expense on both of these items was brutal. It felt something like being sodomized by a freight train.

As mentioned previously both front and rear brakes required some creative customizing in order to fit the G6 properly and you will still need to purchase custom made stainless steel braided brake lines from a source of your choosing before the project is finally completed and trouble free.

I wrote it before and I'll write it again. While I am thrilled with my Baer brakes performance and visual appeal the Cobalt/Brembo brakes are a better bang for the buck. If you posses the patience to find them they can be available for a fraction of the price of the Baer kit, provide a similar level of performance if not more and from what I understand the installation is easier.
                  Current Mods

Comment

@Altered6- you felt like you got sodimised by a frieght train how much did that cost ?

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine View Post
                      @Altered6- you felt like you got sodimised by a frieght train how much did that cost ?
                      Waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than a sh1tload C!
                      Last edited by Altered6; 12-17-2010, 01:16 AM.
                      Current Mods

Comment

@Altered6- haha

Comment

Wow man nice work... Brembo's will be my next major mod I think. I already have most of the big stuff done. I have Font and rear drilled and slotted CQuence rotors. Now I need a good caliper.
                          2012 AWD Fusion Sport...
                          Steeda springs, Steeda STB, Steeda Motor mount, Steeda Intake, Steeda 93/100 octain tune, Steeda TB spacer, Magnaflow catback, 19x8.5 mustang GT wheels painted body color, 5% and 35% TINT, upper and lower 6,000k HID's, Steeda Hood struts, and tinted tails, and much more...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3974935/2012-ford-fusion/

Comment

Thanks LB2. I have been following your progress as well. Very impressive. I especially enjoyed the transmission build details.

The Brembo brakes would definitely be a great addition to your car that you won't regret.

Current Mods

Comment

Every time i see this thread bumped up to the top of the Active Topics, i always think, "OH GOD, what else could he have done???" Your car is fantastic, and i envy you for the things that you have done. Great job.
                              Paying someone to install parts on your car, and bragging about it being fast is like watching someone SMURF your wife, and being proud to raise the kids
                              sigpic
                              Progression Page
                              Four Door Mafia

Forever Pontiac
                              Sponsored by: Negrotis™ Racing

Comment

Thanks Phenom! Unfortunately the Bear/Cobalt brake modification will probably be the only big mod I make to this car. I did try to score a GM ground effects kit from Fas Accessories. As I live in Canada and it states on their Ebay page that they do not ship outside the continental United States their price was way to good not to try and convince them to make this one exception. Well long story short after several unanswered e-mails, a winning bid of $300.00 plus another $150.00 added to cover shipping and more than three weeks waiting Fas Accessories determined that they could not ship my order and immediately refunded my payment.
                                Current Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X