What window tint should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What window tint should I get?

I just bought some Gila tint from advance auto parts but I just read some reviews of it and they ALL say it's complete CRAP! I'll probably return it tomorrow.

If you have ever tinted your windows yourself let me know what you used and what you thought of it.

I could also really use some advice on how to do this! Thanks!;-)
    sigpic
    Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Re: What window tint should I get?

Oops post...kinda like an oops baby
    Last edited by thestig; 08-21-2010, 08:49 PM.
    sigpic
    Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

I would advise to never tint the windows yourself. Although it's cheaper, you get what you pay for. Even if you make it look good, the reliability is poor and would cause bubbles and heat effects.

I plan on just going to a professional with a lifetime warranty. One bill and no worries.
      2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
      GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
      Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thestig View Post
        I just bought some Gila tint from advance auto parts but I just read some reviews of it and they ALL say it's complete CRAP! I'll probably return it tomorrow.

If you have ever tinted your windows yourself let me know what you used and what you thought of it.

I could also really use some advice on how to do this! Thanks!;-)

i tinted the windows on my old explorer, im gunna tell you right now its not that easy, my only problem was that i did it in my driveway and i had wind to deal with, but other than that i came out just fine. u can buy a complete window tinting kit on ebay for like $20 i think.. it gives you all u need to do it yourself, i also looked up some youtube videos on how to do it..lol but i did it on my explorer myself because i didnt really care if it turned out good or not...as for the 6 i would defanetly go get it done professionally. i went and got mine all tinted 3 days after i drove it off the lot..lol and it costed about $350 and i gotta say it was well worth it....all the work done to my car was done at Advance Auto Design.

Comment

do it right, take it to a tinter, no problems, you dont wanna look like one of those guidos with a crap tint job full of bubbles, it truly is an art form to be a good tint guy
          09 GT Coupe in Techno Grey, lowered on eibachs, debadged, duplicolor red calipers, Full CRABS setup, silver CRAB stickers in my coupe windows +20HP G6Performance.com decals ,carbon fibre inlays

Comment

Yeah I figured. I just hate the thought of spending $200 just to have a cop make me tear it out the next day. I'll probably end up getting it done professionally.

What do you guys think about 35% all around and 20% on the one back window?

Hey, PICS please!
            Last edited by thestig; 08-22-2010, 08:26 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Check your tint laws so you don't waste your money. I personally am going for 30-40% tint (legal limit is 27%) all around with uniformity. I plan on spending around $150 to $200 for professional work.
              2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abyssul View Post
                Check your tint laws so you don't waste your money. I personally am going for 30-40% tint (legal limit is 27%) all around with uniformity. I plan on spending around $150 to $200 for professional work.

Summary of Legislation relating to window tinting in Pennsylvania

The Pennsylvania STATUTE

This is the actual LAW passed by the PA Legislators in response to the will of the people. If an officer cites you, this is the law that he will probably accuse you of violating!

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%. The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle.

Note also that it does NOT say that a person must be able to view the inside of the vehicle, only that the tint cannot prevent a person from seeing in. (no one can see into a vehicle at night, even with clear windows) Also the way the law is stated it is only requiring that a person be able to see the inside either through the windshield, side wing OR side window. If the word “and” was used instead of “or” it would require viewing through all of the mentioned windows.

Basically it leaves it entirely to the interpretation of the cop.
                Most cops will leave you alone or might say something about it if they stop you for something else. I go to school in Grove City PA and the cops there are real jerks about tint I hear. But I've finally decided to take my chances and just keep a low profile. I think I'll be safe as long as I don't get stopped for something else. Worst case scenario they will make me rip it out and I wasted $180. But if not then I have AWESOME tint.
                sigpic

Comment

Wow that sucks. Basically you are legally stuck with the stock tint.
                  2006 Pontiac G6 GT

sigpic

Comment

A while ago I called the state police barraces and the cop that I talked to said that she has never given a ticket for tint. They really don't care as long as it's not really dark. The only thing that worries me are the cops in the small town that I go to college in. I know from experience that they are pricks!!

Anyway, let's take a poll. The company has:

50%
                    35%
                    30%
                    20%
                    15%
                    5%

What percent should I get? I kinda like the idea of darker tint on the very back window.

I'm leaning towards 30% all around with 20% on the very back window.;-)
                    Last edited by thestig; 08-23-2010, 03:36 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Do you already have factory tint?
                      If you do it is 70%, and by adding a 30% tint on top of that, you end up with a 21% tint, so be careful.

Progression Page - G6P Garage

They had like 47 different kinds of diapers there so I picked up some ShamWow's and Duct Tape instead

Comment

Well I think we all have the standard 70% right? So we're still comparing apples to apples.
                        sigpic

Comment

the other problem is tinting your back window. Sure doing the sides on your own wouldn't be hard at all but doing the rear window-no thank you! Just pay the money to get it done and have a warranty on it that way if anything happens you can just get it replaced!
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963 View Post
                            the other problem is tinting your back window. Sure doing the sides on your own wouldn't be hard at all but doing the rear window-no thank you! Just pay the money to get it done and have a warranty on it that way if anything happens you can just get it replaced!
                            That's what I'm doing. The company that will be tinting it has those percentages. So it won't be me it will be a guy with 13 years experience working for a company that has been doing this since 1976 doing it.

On a side note, I drove the most powerful car I've ever driven yesterday!

556 hp 551 tq OOOHhhh Yeah!

Pretty good for $60k!
                            Last edited by thestig; 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

V series = badass and owns all!!!

I've never driven one but could only imagine the power that beast must have!
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X