Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another G6 with coolant loss...head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another G6 with coolant loss...head gasket?

Well, sounds like I have a similar story to some other folks on here. Just bought my '06 GTP coupe at the end of December. Had it in for a 'low coolant' message on the DIC when the car was cold, back in January. The dealership topped it off. Now it's March, and I have the same issue. After reading all the horror stories on here, I'm pretty convinced its the head gasket. Brought it in to the dealer this morning. I have about 200 miles left on the warranty (35,789 miles on the car), which is also good until April 9th. Just made it. Now my only fear is that they won't get it fixed right and if I have to bring it in again I will be out of warranty. I should hear back from them on Monday with what the issue is. It makes me sick thinking I traded in my pristine '04 civic on this car. If it really is the head gasket, then I don't think I will be buying a GM vehicle ever again. This totally sucks.

Re: Another G6 with coolant loss...head gasket?

as long as you got it in b4 watrrenty theres a record it was doing it while you were in so if it keeps hapeining after a repair they should still cover it

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
      as long as you got it in b4 watrrenty theres a record it was doing it while you were in so if it keeps hapeining after a repair they should still cover it
      Also, it might be an intake gasket...

Comment

So what exactly is the defect in the head or intake gasket that causes this issue? Is the gasket itself defective? My thought is that if it is so widespread, then wouldn't you expect it to happen sooner or later no matter what? Is it just a matter of time?

Comment

How is your 06 still under warranty? Isn't it a 3/36k miles?? So you would be obviously be out of warranty. I know my 06 Expired back last June
          2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium Edition
          2.0 Turbo 5-Speed Automatic
          Tsukuba Red

Comment

depends when it was bought

if it was an 06 bought in april of 07 hed have warrenty till april of 2010

3/36 is from when the car was put in service. regardless of how long it was on the lot

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by jp375
              So what exactly is the defect in the head or intake gasket that causes this issue? Is the gasket itself defective? My thought is that if it is so widespread, then wouldn't you expect it to happen sooner or later no matter what? Is it just a matter of time?
              the gasket material they use and dex cool eating through the gasket material
              Mods: Intake resonator removed GTR Exhaust 30% Tint Front 15% Back Crab Intake WAMS 93 octane tune RLP street motor mounts, Debaged, Destriped, and Dashhawk. Infinity Kappa door speakers, Kicker cvx 12, Pioneer AVH-3200 BT Deck, Kicker 700.5 amp

Comment

depends when it was bought

if it was an 06 bought in april of 07 hed have warrenty till april of 2010

3/36 is from when the car was put in service. regardless of how long it was on the lot
                yep, that is exactly it. Car wasn't purchased until April 07. Wonder why it took so long to sell

Comment

Originally posted by stevey722
                  the gasket material they use and dex cool eating through the gasket material

if thats true, then basically every 3.9 is going to have this problem? So should I insist they do both banks?

Comment

Originally posted by stevey722
                    The gasket material they use and dex cool eating through the gasket material
                    What engines have gaskets that don't agree with dex-cool?
                    Modifications:
                    [Completed] CRAB 03/04 + WMS 91 Octane Tune + MPD Hood w/ Hood Struts + GT-R Exhaust + Red Interior Lighting + De-Badged + Overlays + Chrome Window Trim + 20% Tint + Racingline Strut Bar
                    [In Progress] Racingline Mount Inserts / Wiring Kit
                    [Later Days] Audio Controls + G6 Mats + New Rims + Tail-Light Replacement + Street Glow + Trunk Sub

Comment

that would be OLDER 3400's 3100's and the like. they got that problem fixed now

Comment

that would be OLDER 3400's 3100's and the like. they got that problem fixed now

I hope so cause both of my head gaskets leaked and had to be replaced when the car was only 2 years old.

Comment

So what is this issue? Assembly issue? Or is it the gasket design itself?

Comment

I have exactly the same car except, i'm blue if i was green i would die.

I've heard that the 3.9 has the gaskets that do this and I noticed that my coolant was low. Does this mean that I will need gaskets soon and can I install them myself?
                            sigpic
                            Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

Dealership called. They are saying it was the radiator. They replaced the radiator under warranty. I'm not sure I believe it though because last time it was in they said they did a leak test, shouldn't it have shown up then? I've never once seen any drips under my car. Are they just trying to get out of doing the head gasket under warranty?

Comment

Working...
                              X