• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G6's and wheel bearing hub problem

lucky bastard

Comment

At last, I found a cheap place for new hub bearings.... Ebay!!

I placed my order totalling 72 bucks for ABS front hub bearing.....

Now, what size is the axle nut?

Comment

Big, My dad and I used his dads old wratchet that was 3/4 drive I think and was like 16" long and weighed a lot.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

mine went at about 55k. cost $400 bucks to have a shop do it. i could have done it but didnt have the socket big enough to git r done. the theory behind the sealed bearing is it should be over 100k before they need replacing, but thats turning into be a false theory.
          2005 G6 Sedan, V6, Custom CAI, CatBack Exhaust,
          starting from scratch .

Comment

I am 100% sure that those bearings are made in China, GM wants 250 for EACH front one and 200 ea for the rears..

I am just waiting for the new onw to arrives, I am sure that I can swap that bearing with a different one.

Comment

That was gm part. But that was only for one. Pass front. I didn't dick with both sinc only one was bout to pop

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
              2005 G6 Sedan, V6, Custom CAI, CatBack Exhaust,
              starting from scratch .

Comment

its 34 or 36 mm if i remember right

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinthehippies
                  That was gm part. But that was only for one. Pass front. I didn't dick with both sinc only one was bout to pop

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
                  That is the same that is making the 4x4 tire sounds!!!

Comment

If you can't get GM parts, Timken is a good aftermarket source.

And any FWD car will have issues with hub assemblies. Some wear out at 50K, some at 150K. I know with N-bodies hub assemblies always go after 100K, my right front did at 103K. The G6 being no different from what I've seen.
                    -Chris-
                    -2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT Sedan-
                    MP Racing CAI/Mangaflow High Flow Cat/Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator/MSD ignition: 8.5mm wires and coils/Black housing headlights/tinted GT tails and 3rd light/17" ROH Adrenalin's/235/45 R17 General Exclaim UHP tires/Baer Decela Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/ceramic pads/6000K HID's/dual post mirror swap/SC/T spoiler/20% tint

There's a Grand Am on your G6 site. lul

Comment

Rock Auto has Timkens for $120, and then another $6 off for the 5% discount code. Good price for a quality part from a reliable source.

Comment

There is some SKF's on ebay for cheap also...
                        2006 "Silver Bullet" V6 Sedan
                        Mods = Lots HaHa

Comment

My hub bearing arrived yesterday. That is superb shipping speed!! Cost fo the bearing SHIPPED....72.14

Will install it this weekend so any pointers will be really apreciated.

I still need the axle nut size.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
                            My hub bearing arrived yesterday. That is superb shipping speed!! Cost fo the bearing SHIPPED....72.14

Will install it this weekend so any pointers will be really apreciated.

I still need the axle nut size.
                            Most GM FWD cars I've seen are usually 34mm or 36mm.

But you'll need to (obviously) get the caliper and rotor out of the way, disconnect the outer tie rod from the spindle, and disconnect the strut from the spindle, then pop out the CV axle, so you can twist the spindle backwards to get to the bolts holding in the assembly. There should be three bolts. Disconnect the ABS plug, and then pop out the assembly, then just reverse the steps to put it all back together.

Took me about an hour with basic hand tools on my own car.
                            -Chris-
                            -2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT Sedan-
                            MP Racing CAI/Mangaflow High Flow Cat/Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator/MSD ignition: 8.5mm wires and coils/Black housing headlights/tinted GT tails and 3rd light/17" ROH Adrenalin's/235/45 R17 General Exclaim UHP tires/Baer Decela Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/ceramic pads/6000K HID's/dual post mirror swap/SC/T spoiler/20% tint

There's a Grand Am on your G6 site. lul

Comment

Well guys, I installed the hub bearing today. Was very easy, if you have the right tools, and very straightfoward.

I will be making a DYI with pics.

Dunno why, but I didnt had to remove the steering knucle, strut or anything.

Axle nut size is 36mm.
                              For this job you will need:
                              13mm socket
                              14mm socket
                              17mm socket
                              36mm deep socket
                              3 jaw puller (to remove the hub bearing from the axle)
                              1/2 inch torque wrench that goes up to 160 ft/pounds
                              U joint extension
                              short and medium socket extensions
                              1/2 breaker bar

I will be uploading the pics tonight and writing the how to.

Dont be intimidated by this job.... at last a easy job to perform on the 6!!

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
                                Well guys, I installed the hub bearing today. Was very easy, if you have the right tools, and very straightfoward.

I will be making a DYI with pics.

Dunno why, but I didnt had to remove the steering knucle, strut or anything.

Axle nut size is 36mm.
                                For this job you will need:
                                13mm socket
                                14mm socket
                                17mm socket
                                36mm deep socket
                                3 jaw puller (to remove the hub bearing from the axle)
                                1/2 inch torque wrench that goes up to 160 ft/pounds
                                U joint extension
                                short and medium socket extensions
                                1/2 breaker bar

I will be uploading the pics tonight and writing the how to.

Dont be intimidated by this job.... at last a easy job to perform on the 6!!
                                Jobs are usually quite easy on newer fwd cars, have done these jobs quite a few times now.
                                2006 "Silver Bullet" V6 Sedan
                                Mods = Lots HaHa

Comment

Working...
                                X