2002 Grand Prix ABS and Traction control lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Grand Prix ABS and Traction control lights

In my mom's car the "ABS" and "Trac off" lights are on and staying on. She can't shut them off (i.e. tried turning on the Traction control and it won't let her.

The "Service Engine Soon" light is on but she said that the previous owner said it was always on for them too.

Anyone?

Re: 2002 Grand Prix ABS and Traction control lights

ABS and Trac Off light more then likely are due to either a bad hub bearing, a bad wheel sensor (either speed or ABS). It could also be a bad connection that can cause the light to come on intermittenly. SES light is more the likely something emissions related.

Comment

Originally posted by grfnkl
      ABS and Trac Off light more then likely are due to either a bad hub bearing, a bad wheel sensor (either speed or ABS). It could also be a bad connection that can cause the light to come on intermittenly. SES light is more the likely something emissions related.
      Originally posted by Mom
      Is any of this going to cost me a fortune?

Comment

depends on which one is the culprit. A bearing itself will go between 200-300 bucks sometimes higher if they mark it up. I'm not sure the prices on the sensors. Best advice is bring it someplace where they can scan for the SES code and scan for ABS codes as well. this way you have an idea of what's going on to start.

Comment

Had the same problem on my car speed sensor, you have to get a new wheel bearing go get the code read and you will know which one
          GMPP Cat-Back Exhaust, MMS Headers, 3" DP with Electric cutout, Full CRAB Intake, RacingLine Street Motor Mounts, NRG Engine Damper, RacingLine Strut Tower Bar, Vector 91 ECM/TCM Tune/HSRK, R1Concept Brakes, HAWK Ceramic Pads, DW's 245/45/18 with TC Wheels, Poly. Sway Bar Bushings, 6000K HID's Lows & Fogs 35watts & 55watts 6,000K Hi-beams

Future: Slicks for the track & Maybe alittle Nitrous

Comment

Originally posted by grfnkl
            depends on which one is the culprit. A bearing itself will go between 200-300 bucks sometimes higher if they mark it up. I'm not sure the prices on the sensors. Best advice is bring it someplace where they can scan for the SES code and scan for ABS codes as well. this way you have an idea of what's going on to start.
            Mom said thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by uzun1986
              Had the same problem on my car speed sensor, you have to get a new wheel bearing go get the code read and you will know which one

Comment

Originally posted by oldmanvette1975
                You wouldn't happen to know how much that's going to run would you?

Comment

sensor is built into the hub bearng gonna say $300 +-100 depending where you get it etc etc

anyway those grand ams were GREAT for breaking the wires to the wheel speed sensor inside the insulation so it you couldnt actually tell. i would typicaly try to sell both the hub bearing adn the wires at the same time because if i found the hub was bad it was easy for the wire to still be bad and then the car comes back.

so im gonna vote for hub bearing or the wires to it

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                  Originally posted by snowmanG6
                  you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                    sensor is built into the hub bearng gonna say $300 +-100 depending where you get it etc etc

anyway those grand ams were GREAT for breaking the wires to the wheel speed sensor inside the insulation so it you couldnt actually tell. i would typicaly try to sell both the hub bearing adn the wires at the same time because if i found the hub was bad it was easy for the wire to still be bad and then the car comes back.

so im gonna vote for hub bearing or the wires to it
                    OK, sounds good, I'll let my mom know. BTW its a Grand Prix...

Comment

same car different badges

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                      Originally posted by snowmanG6
                      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                        same car different badges
                        HAHA, thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by markpetersonii
                          Originally posted by oldmanvette1975
                          You wouldn't happen to know how much that's going to run would you?
                          When I had the dealer do it on my Monte Carlo, it was just under $500.00...OUCH

To make it even better, a week later the problem was back and it turned out to be the wire going to the wheel speed sensor was rubbing on the control arm and cause an intermitant break in the circuit. A little solder and shrink tubing and problem solved BUT I didn't get my $500 bucks back from the dealer GOOD LUCK

Comment

Had the same issue with my '01 GP. It was the wire going into the hub. The bearing was like $180 I think. They aren't hard to put on if you know how. I did it four times on the GP. Make sure to get one with a warranty.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

Wow, so this was obviously a big problem. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X