Possible Timing Chain Stretch? DTC: P0019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Timing Chain Stretch? DTC: P0019

So for the past few weeks I have had this mysterious rattle coming from my engine. It does it on start-up and from just above idle to redline. I took it to my dealer and they just shrugged their shoulders. So I have been driving as little as possible trying to research what this could be.

Anyway, about a couple days ago, my engine light came on. I had it scanned at an auto parts store and they told me it was P0019 which has to do with the alignment between the camshaft and the crankshaft. I took it to a different dealer and they won't fix the car because of my mods. So now I'm stuck trying to figure out what this is.

I have been doing some research and have found that the timing chain is a fairly major problem in the LY7. Also, this code indicates a possible stretched chain or jammed actuator. I don't think it is an actuator because of the rattle sound I have. My theory is something went wrong with one of the many tensioners, shoes, or guides, and it is now broke and rattling around in the front cover. After so long of the chain not being tensioned properly it stretched, throwing off the proper timing of the camshaft.

So, my questions are does my theory sound accurate? And if this is indeed the problem, does the engine have to be dropped out of the car to change the timing chain? If it doesn't, how hard of a DIY would this be, or what would it cost to have done from someone who isn't the dealership?

Thanks all.
    Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
    - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
    - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Re: Possible Timing Chain Stretch? DTC: P0019

ive heard is a problem more on teh acadias and those more then the G6 but its possible. it bight just be an actuator though. i cant look up any info right now though

as far as DIY if it is the chains you dont want too. even if you could you dont want too.

easiest way is to pull the engine and then theres a special procedure with special tools to get the 3 chains timed right

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

The techs where I work do the chains all day long. I asked a tech awhile ago about the chains stretching and he said its notorious on Cadillacs, but with Pontiacs, it might just be a program. I know most of the p/n's by heart (12616608 is the secondary chain and 12616609 is the primary). We dont see too many actuators failing, but the primary tensioner fails alot. As for diy, I strongly dont advise it. The job pays about 8 hours and yes it is done on vehicle, but that is rwd/awd. I dont know bout fwd.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
      4 door mafia
      93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
      8000k hid's
      Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
      Rotofab cai and radiator cover
      13.207@107.11
      330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

yeah those were the early ones that did that alot.

and definantly doable in car in those. not worth the hassle in the G6. and actually thinking about it the Acadias have cylander head issues whioch effects the chain

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

So you think the actuator could be causing the rattle?
          Born: 2/16/2007 -- Best Time: 14.20 @ 98.61 MPH -- 240 WHP & 205 WTQ -- Blueprinted and Balanced

- U.C. Tinted Tails - Dr. S Stage 3 - SRC Dyno Tune - Eibach Pro Kit - C.I. FPU - Scuba's Aux. Retrofit -
          - 08 SS/TC Brembo Conversion - Ported Heads & I.M - MACE I.M.S. - RacingLine MMI - O.T.T.P. SRS -
          - MMS Headers - ClassicPerformance Exhaust - Powerbond UDP - CF Catch Can - Racingline Strutbar -

Comment

might be hard to say with out hearing it and i cant check info right now.

if you still have warrenty you should be making some dealer fix it for you

Comment

I'll see if I can get a video of it. But I don't have a warranty anymore due to my 'mods'.

Comment

yeha i think there full of on that one since i doubt your mods (unless you have a tune and they checked for that and found it) would void your warrenty if you want to pm me your vin ill check when ever i can

Comment

that effin sucks....good luck with that

Mods: 30% tint front, 18% tint rear, custom eyelids, custom painted rocker panels, custom painted side/wing mirrors, GXP front bumper/fascia, eibach pro kit springs, 17" black/machined face liquid metal venoms, interior CF kit, K&N typhoon intake, Flashtech HID's 6000K lows, 10,000K fogs, Xenon 8500k highs.

Other ride: 07 Q7 for now
                  PSN: racin247
                  Progression-search Silverg6er's FOTOZ

Comment

The years that were affecting the Caddis were heavy in 2006, which is the year motor you probably have in your 07... It's very plausible.

The bad news is, it's timing chain replacement time. The good news is, thats a Manufacturer defect, an updated chain would cure this issue.

Comment

I beg to differ, were getting stretched chains through MY09. The majority I see now are 07-08 and those are the second design chains.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
                      4 door mafia
                      93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
                      8000k hid's
                      Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
                      Rotofab cai and radiator cover
                      13.207@107.11
                      330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

i didn't think timing "chains" were used anymore i thought everything these days was belts...
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by steelgraygtp
                          I'll see if I can get a video of it. But I don't have a warranty anymore due to my 'mods'.
                          There is a thing called the Magnussen-Moss act of 1975.

Basically, if it's possible, take out all mods before going to the dealership. They can't void the warantee on the timing chain unless they can prove that a mod of yours caused it.

I state the general rule of modding and warantees: always make sure it's returned to stock condition before taking it in.

Or, try another dealership.
                          "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                          ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                          SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
                            i didn't think timing "chains" were used anymore i thought everything these days was belts...
                            GM V6s still use chains on the pushrod V6s and the 3.6L DOHC. One reason why I liked the G6 GTP 3900, a moddern engine V6 pushrod you can buy and has a chain! No 100K mile change out

And that BS if they wont fix it! Only the PCM tune would void it and they have to scan and send it out to GM to tell if the program has been altered or not. I had a PCM tune on mine and out of warrenty and GM still covered putting a new head and intake gasket with upper engine hardware on my 3900 GTP.
                            2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                            Gotta have it Green color
                            Brembo brake package
                            420 HP 5.0L
                            Ford Racing Power Pack
                            GT500 track pack differential cover
                            BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

The dealership discovered that the computer has been altered. But I have a question about all these calibration numbers. I know that Chris said that if your ECM had ever been replaced under warranty then the calibration numbers wouldn't match and you could get away with a tune. But if your engine has been replaced, would the numbers match up anymore with a different motor in the car?

And I will get that video a little later when I have someone to help me.

Comment

Working...
                              X