07 G6 Service Air Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 G6 Service Air Bag

Bought my daughter a 07 G6 about 6 months ago. Car has 19000 miles so is still under warranty. Every once in a while an alert chimes and a Service Air Bag message will display for about 15 seconds. Dealer says it's not storing any codes. They have had it 4 different times for a total of at least 8 or 9 days. Doesn't matter if anyone is in the passenger seat or not. Dealer doesn't seem to want to do anything about it because they can't reproduce the problem. I'm thinking they should get busy swapping parts. Sooner or later they are bound to replace the defective part. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks.....

Re: 07 G6 Service Air Bag

sounds like a bad sensor so I would say just complain to the dealer about it enough that they replace it. Customer is always right and your under warranty so just be like replace it now! lol

Car Domain | ForeverPontiac.com | Progression

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
    G6Performance - now with TWO Hampsters!

Comment

problem is even if its a bad sensor who knows which one
      and whos to say its isnt one of like 10 different parts or even in the wires somewhere. GM would ream the dealer for blindly guessing.

try to see if you can get it to act up some how. maybe turning the wheel causes it shaking the car a certain way

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Well I know the Solution!!! Haha only cause it does it on my dads car. Now Idk if it is just like this on the g6 i havnt checked but the wiring for the airbag might be under the seat as it is on the lucerne. Its like a multi plug and sometimes it gets disconnected either after getting it cleaned and someone shoveing a vacum down there or just fiddling around under there. If its not that then its an internal wiring problem.

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
        I'm open to other ideas that'll make my car sick awesome super deluxe pro-friggin BOOYAH yo, as long as they're cheap.

Comment

I'd ask them firmly but nicely about replacing parts whether storing codes or not. That's a safety issue and it's not like you're trying to scam them for abusing the car or something. It's an air bag sensor issue in the seat or whatever.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
          Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone. I spoke with the service dept. guys late yesterday and they claim to have a call in to gm support group. Said they expect to hear back from them this morning. Not sure why they waited this long since they seem to have no idea as to the source of the problem. I guess for now I'll just keep complaining and suggesting they start replacing something. What are the chances that in a crash the airbag might not deploy? That's my biggest concern....

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooks
              Wow, thanks for the quick responses everyone. I spoke with the service dept. guys late yesterday and they claim to have a call in to gm support group. Said they expect to hear back from them this morning. Not sure why they waited this long since they seem to have no idea as to the source of the problem. I guess for now I'll just keep complaining and suggesting they start replacing something. What are the chances that in a crash the airbag might not deploy? That's my biggest concern....
              Unfortianlly cant answer that question. There is so many variables on air bag deployment and calculations done by the computer before engaging the system. If you get into an accident with the service air bag light on, the system prob will not engage. If light is off and no stored codes then it should work and deploy.

They have a call into GM because this is a serious issue. You complained to the dealership on it and they didnt do anything and your case is now documented. If you get into an accident and airbag system failed you have all rights to sue the dealership for not repairing the air bag safty system. Therefore, they are worried and know it needs adressed. There calling GM for GM tech that specilizes in the air bag system that is properly trained or specilized in air bags so he can tell the dealership where to start trouble shooting at.
              2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
              Gotta have it Green color
              Brembo brake package
              420 HP 5.0L
              Ford Racing Power Pack
              GT500 track pack differential cover
              BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Well, just received a call from the service dept stating GM support had no suggestions other than a couple tech notes which the dealer says they had done the first time I brought it in. They have hooked up something they are calling a flight recorder that is supposed to capture tons of information the next time the problem occurs. They want me to pick it up and drive it for a few days to see what happens. How likely is it that GM support couldn't offer any more help than that?

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooks
                  Well, just received a call from the service dept stating GM support had no suggestions other than a couple tech notes which the dealer says they had done the first time I brought it in. They have hooked up something they are calling a flight recorder that is supposed to capture tons of information the next time the problem occurs. They want me to pick it up and drive it for a few days to see what happens. How likely is it that GM support couldn't offer any more help than that?
                  They dont know where to start if the light is off and there is no store codes that doesnt help either. It is literally like finding a needle in a hay stack. Without knowing what is wrong they cant just start replacing things because they can put all new sensors in and airbags then find out when the G6 was being built a wire got pinched at the factory. A flight recorder is going to capture everything. Like how fast you drive, miles, your auto headlights coming on, engine loads, turn single actions, anything that goes on in the car (electronically) is being recorded. So once that air bag light comes on the recorder will recordered and they can go from there of what made the PCM (your computer) triger that airbag light and why no codes are stored. Once they have that info they can better and much more acuratly trouble shoot your issue. Only way GM suport cant help you from here on out is if the air bag light doesnt come on, once it comes on and the recorder is still conected to the car GM suport should be able to figure out then what is wrong.
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

the flight recorder (VDR vehicle data recorder) will defiantly help. as for tech assist not having any ideas. very good chance. i find more often then not they just lead you in circles or have you shotgun parts based on what theyve seen with other cars

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Ok I appreciate everyone's comments. Since I picked it up late yesterday the message hasn't displayed. Have driven it about 75 miles. Will keep my fingers crossed that the message displays again. Maybe then they can get to the bottom of this. I will post any updates as they occur.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooks View Post
                        Ok I appreciate everyone's comments. Since I picked it up late yesterday the message hasn't displayed. Have driven it about 75 miles. Will keep my fingers crossed that the message displays again. Maybe then they can get to the bottom of this. I will post any updates as they occur.
                        Hi, I know this post has been about 3 years, but I am having the same problem with my G6 GTP and just wanted to see if you did ever find out what was wrong with your car and its airbag system. Hope to get some responses

Thank you!

Comment

Lol, my 09 has had the light on for awhile. I finally went and pulled the code. It took 4 GM TechII scanners to finally get the damn code. Turns out one of my sensors is getting too much voltage. I tested it with my DMM, and its reading 25.5V. In the end I just disabled the system, life is just easier that way.
                          1972 F100
                          1978 Twinstar
                          1992 Miata
                          2014 Mustang

Comment

what was the code? and thats pretty impressive that the voltage of the car DOUBLED to that sensor

Comment

It was the one for to much voltage to the right front sensor. Hence the test. I'll dig my notes out and get the code tomorrow if I have time. That voltage was confirmed with two PDIs and a Snap-On DMM. The Electrical and Electronics teacher even came over and personally verified the voltage when three of his students reported it with three different meters. The under the hood wiring loom was disassembled and the problem is believed to be located before that. I wanted to pull the module and test it, however we were running out of shop time.
                              1972 F100
                              1978 Twinstar
                              1992 Miata
                              2014 Mustang

Comment

Working...
                              X