Steering Wheel Squeaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Squeaking

I’ve noticed that my steering wheel is making a squeaking noise during turns. It’s more of an intermittent squeak, or like a series of short squeaks (squeak, squeak, squeak), rather than one long squeak as the wheel is being turned.

The car was in the shop back in the fall having hail damage repaired, not sure if something was reinstalled incorrectly.

Any ideas?

Re: Steering Wheel Squeaking

IDK. Help us out. Same position for squeak every time? Does it do it in park? Can you apply pressure to the wheel to alter it? Was your steering wheel off during those repairs?

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
    Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Not sure if the steering wheel was removed or not. I'll have to check at lunch and get answers to those other questions though. Thanks for the advice, I'll back to you ASAP.

Comment

By barrycraig at 2009-03-10
        ALTERATIONS:

Full 2008 GXP Sport Edition Conversion, MPD hood, Crab 03/04, HSRK, chrome oil cap/door locks, WAMS 93 tune, tints, Kenwood DNX5120 dvd/nav, red led interior lighting, 05 leather seats, Impala Leather console lid, 3rd LED brake light, Custom trunk lid liner.

Comment

I am having a similar problem, but I am not sure if it is my steering wheel. It only seems to happen when it is cold out. It squeaks moving it in small quick movements, or over bumps (I think my wheel moves over bumps a bit). It is very annoying but I can't narrow it down to an absolute location. I am thinking of greasing the steering shaft as the clunking noise while turning is back. It is just too cold out to do it now.
          Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

It's been discussed here on a thread dealing with steering noises etc and if it's what I think it may be, it's the prelude to a clunking noise. It's likely the same problem many of us have experienced with the 6er's steering set up. Which means you take into the stealer or grease it as per "How to lube intermediate steering shaft" by ahuhn.
            Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
            Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
            Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

Also what I was wondering was it actually the steering wheel or something in the steering

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
              Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Just a follow-up for this. It does make the squeaking sound when the car is in park, but it doesn’t seem to start making the noise until the wheel has been turned a full turn, then it starts.

Comment

Try greasing as per ahuhn's thread, as I mentioned above, and see if that does the trick.
                  Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
                  Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
                  Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

Working...
                  X