Some weird power issues.....I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some weird power issues.....I think

ok so a couple of months ago i started noticing that everyonce in while my lights would kinda flicker and not just the headlights but the guage and radio lights too, but the car has been running fine other than a hard start once in a while. Well the past couple of days it has been getting worse, yesterday i went to start the car and it turned on kinda rough and then it sorta sputtered off,i tokk out the key put it back in and the car was fine and then the rest of the day it was fine and it ran smooth and started up several times throughout the day with no problem, then i noticed that the headlights would flicker even when i was turning the wheel i guess from the power steering, and then today at dinner i started the car to drive to a restaurant it was fine, i finish eating and get in the car the engine starts fine but i cant put the car into gear(auto) it was as if the brake lock hadnt been disengaged then i look in the rearview to see if my brake lights are coming on and nothing so press down really hard and the brake lights come on and the car lets me put it in gear, so i drive over a couple of spots and i stop the car and start it right back up and the brakes are fine, i shut it off agin and let it sit for 10 mins and again it starts up fine, tomorrow i'm gonna go get the battery tested just to see if that is part of the problem but clearly there is a power issue but in my experience a bad alternator would leave you stranded and a bad battery wouldn't let you start the car, unless they are going bad and just havent completetly died yet. any ideas anyone?

oh and its a 2k6 V6 with no engine mods and the stock sound and about 50k miles

Re: Some weird power issues.....I think

check the obvious first like the battery and alternator. Then we'll see.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
    Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

I had the exact same issue. This could very well be battery or alternator, easiest, simplest fixes.

However nothing is EVER SIMPLE for me and it ended up being one of the spark plug wires's shielding had worn away and it was grounding out onto my metal Dr. Speed Stage 4 intake causing the lights to dim and the engine to putter randomly.. after the dealer put it back on after they fixed an issue with fuel injector wiring harness where they needed to take everything off the engine including the upper intake manifold to get to it.... not to mention when they fixed that THEY ALSO forgot to put the clamp back on the coolant reserve tank and that popped loose and I lost all my coolant...
      2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
      Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
      Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
      2005 CGM GTO.
      386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
      2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Sounds like it might be a bad ground some where??

Comment

ok now get this......i've had that same brake issue all day where sometimes when i start the car i cant put it in gear unless i smash the brake all the way down, well today when i got home i was looking at my brake light reflecting off of my neighbors car and the brake light was not on despite the brake being pushed down all the way, then i would release and the light would come on, i would push down again and the light would go away and then come back on, i played with it for about ten minutes and there was no particular pattern as to when the brake light would come on and off it was pretty random, but it wouldnt turn on by itself it would only do it when the brake was all the way down or it would turn on right as i pulled my foot up, also something that i noticed was that when the car made me smash the brake down to put it in gear the brakes would feel nice and tight for the rest of that drive, but when the car behaved normally by letting me put it into gear like it should by having to only apply a little pressure to the pedal, the brakes felt a little mushy...?... i dunno i have a feeling this is gonna turn into a big PITA

o and the battery tested fine, but i havent tested the alternator yet

also what should my RPM's read if i'm in drive but not moving like at at light or stop sign?

Comment

ive heard of weird brake light issues on these cars
            the has been anything from a new brake light switch to a new BCM to both to both plus all new wires

might wanna take it to the dealer for the brake lights

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

My G6 idles at about 6 or 7 hundred depending on if the engine is warmed up or not.

Comment

Re: AHHH crazy brakes or should i say BREAKS

Ok so the other day i took out the batt and checked all the grounds that i could see and everything was ok i then inspected and reseated all of the plug cables again all good, but now my lights aren flickering anymore, but the brake lights are still acting up so i think that two problems wer seperate issues.

so then yesterday after work i had my coworker stand behind my car and tell me what the lights were doing as i hit the pedal it seemed that they were working fine, until i got out the car to thank him, so no one was inside the car pressing the pedal but the lights were on!!! so i get back in the car and now the lights are acting funny again. so i decided to pump them repeatledly for like a minute after that they were fine again and i had him follow me home to see and he siad they worked fine the whole way.

then this morning i got in the car and i looked for the brake light reflecting off of the wall and nothing, unless i pushed them all the way down, so again i decided to pump them, then i looked at the reflection again and the lights were coming on like normal, i tested them for a few minutes just to be sure and yeah it was good.

so i thought back to last time i changed my brakes and it's only been a few months but i do know that they have felt pretty spongy for a while i've just been so busy that i just got used to it and learned to live with it. but i drove my gilrfriends little convertible bug and i really felt the difference between my brakes and hers, mine feel about as me trying to stop Flintstones style. so could it be that i maybe didnt bleed them enough, or maybe some kinda leak either fluid or vaccuum? but why would it decide to act up now 3-4 months later?

oh and i dont have the "TC" button this means i dont have ABS right? because i didnt know that when i bought my brakes (rotors and pads) i got the them for the ABS eqipped G6 but everything fit perfect and matched up in size and everything to the ones the brake shop put in last time

maybe i should just flush the transmission, engine oil and purge the brake system with my garden hose and some sand or maybe some radiator sealent in the brake fluid resevoir should plug up any leaks rights?

Comment

the switch that controls the brake lights has nothing to do with how the brakes feel or the fluid in the line. the switch is in the car and just detects when youve pushed down the pedal

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                  you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by robbzilla
                    also what should my RPM's read if i'm in drive but not moving like at at light or stop sign?
                    wow i cant beleive that i actually asked that as if i dont know what idling is i'm sorry i must've spacedout.....nubbed it up sorry

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                      the switch that controls the brake lights has nothing to do with how the brakes feel or the fluid in the line. the switch is in the car and just detects when youve pushed down the pedal
                      aww man i though that i had made a BRAKEthrough

ok well i guesss ima take tomorrow off of work and i'll check it out. is that a pretty heavy repair? or do you think that a mildly expereinced person with good set of tools would be ok

Comment

putting the switch in is nothing. if the switch doens fix it though it would need to be dealered

Comment

ok i took today off of work to figure out this brake light thing but i cant get it to act up again i brought my girlfriend over so that she could tell me when the lights were coming on and off, and so far after like 2 hours of playing with them i cant get them to not work

so i don't know if i should start taking stuff apart or if i should just leave it until it acts up. and how do most dealer service centers work do they charge you the labor for a diag or do you have them look at it first then they call you with a quote on repairs and then you choose whether or not to accept. I've been to a the dealer service dept before but never without warranty.

Comment

most shops tell you up front its going ot be this much for us to look at it(diag) if they need more time then that theyll call you and tell you how much its going to be or if they figure it out in that time they call you and tell you what they found and how much its going to be. from there you either accept or decline repairs

Comment

This is a revive...

I think I'm experiencing a similar problem explained above. Recently my driver side fender was backed into resulting in my car going to a body shop. Long story short my interior car lights (dash, shifter, etc.) all pulsate, being at their brightest then going dim and ramping back up to full brightness before going dim again and repeating the cycle but ONLY when the headlights (not DRLs) or fog lights are on.

I've checked all fuses and the only trouble is that the #10 fuse in the trunk for the parking lamps continues to blow. I replaced the parking lamp resistor but that didn't help the fuse still pops. Ended up using a #15 fuse instead so that I have brake lights, which is another issue as when the #10 blows the brake lights do not illuminate (at night) unless I press the brake pedal, causing them to light up completely, otherwise they're off.

When I picked up the car from the body shop (the first time) I noticed that the fog lights did not illuminate. I informed the shop and then was informed that both of my old fog lights "had both blown out" and were replaced with new h11s. I am really stuck as to what could be the problem and need some advice. My battery was replaced January 17 and he alternator was replaced this past weekend and both cleared the battery alternator test at AutoZone.

The body shop reported that they tested the electrical system for any open circuits or bad grounds, which the test did not indicate either were present. The body shop suggested that the amount of moisture in the driver side headlight could be the issue.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance
                              Rice Killa

Comment

Working...
                              X