Alarm goes off whenever remote start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm goes off whenever remote start

Whenever I use my factory remote start it starts but the frigin alarm goes off every time after the engine starts and I have to unlock it immediately to not bother my neighbors. After the engine starts the horn will honk once and then about 2 seconds later the alarm will sound with a series of honks. Am I holding the remote start button on my remote down too long after pressing lock? I hold it down only until I hear the engine start which is about 4-5 seconds. Is this normal? Has anyone ever experienced this problem??
    '05 Black G6 GT, Axxess XM Direct Upgrade, Steering Wheel Swap, 6000k HID conversion, 18" GTP Wheels Chromed

It's definitely not normal and would be very annoying.

Comment

Never once happend to me. I would say it is abnormal and take her to a dealer to get fixed.
      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Your description of problem is something I have not heard of before. I have heard of a condition where an attempt to do a remote start results in alarm sounding INSTEAD OF a remote start. That issue was due to key fob.

I would recommend if you have 2nd fob to try doing remote starts with it and see if same thing happens (not sure if your concern happens every time or not).

If you get a single honk and then a series of honks that doesn't even fall into any normal Alarm function I know of. You aren't holding down the LOCK button at the same time you are pressing the Remote Start, are you? You should do a press and release of lock and then a press and hold of remote start until vehicle starts. However that shouldn't take 4-5 seconds. More like 2 seconds.

Comment

Yeah the thing is I know the back of the remote and owner's manual has the instructions on the proper procedure, but it never takes just 2 seconds for me. Its always about 5 seconds of holding. I press and release the lock button and then have to hold down the remote start button until the engine starts. If I hold it for only 2-3 seconds and release it won't start. I also replaced the remote battery recently. Also the series of honks I refered to is just simply the factory alarm going off. When the engine starts it will honk once (I guess to let me know the engine has started), then a few quick honks as to say the alarm is about to sound, and then finally the alarm will sound. Unfortunately I don't have a working second remote to test.
          '05 Black G6 GT, Axxess XM Direct Upgrade, Steering Wheel Swap, 6000k HID conversion, 18" GTP Wheels Chromed

Comment

OK - my guess is that something must be up with your remote fob then since it is taking so long for remote start to happen.

As far as alarm I was only aware of 2 different activation sequences after armed:

Open any passenger door, trunk or hood: Alarm triggers immediately with lights flashing and horn honking.

Open driver door: Horn honks slowly for approx 10 seconds indicating a "pre-alarm" giving you time to disarm by putting key in ignition or something. Then after 10 seconds it transitions to the full alarm with lights and horn.

So instead maybe you are really triggering a "Panic" alarm with your fob. Maybe the initial honk is part of a "locate" function and then transitioning into "Panic".

In any case it is your fob that needs to be looked at/replaced

Comment

Thanks! I'm gonna look into getting another one programmed then.

Comment

Curious - are you not the original owner or did you lose one?

Comment

I am the second owner and only received one remote with it.

Comment

Ok, i now know its not the remote because i got a second one programmed and same thing. Today my theft deterrent system went a little crazy this is the second time it happened. The first time i go to start my car, won't start, suddenly the alarm sounds. I try to do everything can't get it to shut off. Finally a friend is able to drive me over some pliars and i disconnect the battery. That was the first time a few weeks ago. Today, I get in my car and the alarm sounds. Pressed the unlock on the remote everything fine. Then i start driving about 25 feet it goes off while i'm driving! Very embarrassing! I press the unlock on the remote while driving and its fine again. Anybody knows exactly what controls the theft deterrent system?

Comment

I can tell you but I am not sure how helpful it is.

There are two types of factory theft deterrent systems in your vehicle:

The vehicle theft deterrent (Immobilizer) called Passkey III Plus is the thing that prevents vehicle starting. Main modules for this function are the Passkey III Plus module and ECM.

The content theft deterrent system is the other one and the one of interest here. If you had a dealer do the programming of 2nd key fob they could have also done a check of data with same scan tool to tell you the last 3 reasons that the content theft system triggered. The Body Control Module is what controls this system.

Your described condition is unusual especially if you had alarm go off when you were actually driving the vehicle - you don't have an aftermarket alarm on vehicle, do you?

Comment

no i have the factory unit. so maybe my bcm is bad? i noticed as i was scraping ice off of my windshield today the thing beeped 3 times as if it were about to sound everytime i'd scrape in the middle. i thought that was kind of odd.

Comment

I doubt it but I guess anything possible. I would first recommend checking the alarm trigger history if you have some friends at dealer.

Of course I remember a case in the past where a customer complaint for random door lock/unlock complaints was resolved when the driver floor mat was lifted and a missing key fob was found underneath. Customer had been hitting button with his foot!!

Comment

Wow that would actually be such a relief if i've just been accidentally hitting a remote with my foot! i wish. i don't know if other 6's factory alarms out there are as sensitive as mine, but if i accidentally bump into my 6 the alarm triggers. if i scrape ice off of my windows the alarm triggers. if i open my trunk using my remote and then close it my alarm triggers. this can't be normal. i think the sensitivity of it is whats causing it to trigger whenever i remote start. its just so intermittent sometimes and so frustrating.

Comment

That is why I was thinking aftermarket system because the G6 factory system doesn't have any type of "shock" or motion detection. It is only based on sensing that the trunk, door or hood is opened without disabling the system.

My guess might be hood switch might be your issue but it still wouldn't explain alarm triggering when driving down road which I though you said happened at least once.

Comment

Working...
                              X