K&N cone filter VS dry flow cone filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N cone filter VS dry flow cone filter

I was wondering if anyone has tryed a K&N style filter that is oiled and also tryed a dry flow filter like an AEM or fujita ? Did you notice a difference in performance from either. Also I've heard some people have MAF issues with K&N style filters is this only a problem if they over oil them? And last question is does the brand of the filter make any difference for example K&N and spectre are both oiled style air filters and AEM or a cheap e-bay dry flow.

Re: K&N cone filter VS dry flow cone filter

I'm pretty sure the CRABs system uses a K&N filter and that's what I roll with. I don't know about it being oiled but it has never caused my engine to throw a code.
    07 G6 GT Progression [traded]
    05 Sentra S-ER Spec-V Progression

Comment

Originally posted by Talmond View Post
      I was wondering if anyone has tryed a K&N style filter that is oiled and also tryed a dry flow filter like an AEM or fujita ? Did you notice a difference in performance from either. Also I've heard some people have MAF issues with K&N style filters is this only a problem if they over oil them? And last question is does the brand of the filter make any difference for example K&N and spectre are both oiled style air filters and AEM or a cheap e-bay dry flow.
      I would never use a spectre and yes it does make a difference. I used to have a grand am with a dry cheap air filter and it never ran right, like I always say if you're gonna do something, go all out, K&N man...
      sigpic
      MY PROGRESSION:
      http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

If the filter is over-oiled it will mess with your MAF, and I believe some throttle body cleaning fluid will fix that if you have that issue.

Personally, I think the fact that K&N-style oil-adsorption filters were the only ones that were able to take volcano ash during the St. Helens eruption without a retrofit says a lot.
        "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
        ~~GWAR's description of Hell
        SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyPete View Post
          I'm pretty sure the CRABs system uses a K&N filter and that's what I roll with. I don't know about it being oiled but it has never caused my engine to throw a code.
          CRABS to come with a K&N filter..FYI
          sigpic
          MY PROGRESSION:
          http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Originally posted by Neatong6er View Post
            CRABS to come with a K&N filter..FYI
            That's what I thought.
            07 G6 GT Progression [traded]
            05 Sentra S-ER Spec-V Progression

Comment

Here is all I gotta say... When your dealing with something like an engine... Go with the industry standard because they know what they are doing more then anyone!! And K&N is by far the industry standard!! But don't worry about the Oil, it isn't like it is dripping with oil, it is actually barely damp!! I had a drop in K&N in my cougar an never had any issues!! It even made for a little more aggressive exhaust tone!!

My Progression---------------------Crimson Crusade---------------------Why Do I Run?
              Originally posted by wzbhnn
              We all like different looks, that's why we mod!!

Comment

K&N make very good filters.

AEM have some nice paper ones as well but they wont last
                like the K&N cause you cant clean & recharge (re-oil) them.

Sometimes the K&N whistle and some people dont like that.
                Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

I love my K&N and would never go with anything else. The only possible bad thing it may be doing is that every once in a while when I go to get gas and have less than 1/4 tank then I fill up it, when I go to start it up I can hear my CAI suck a ton of air and my car won't start on the first try or it will but studder so I have to give it some gas. It starts after the failed start but you can hear the intake suck the air up and I think it just leans the engine out.
                  Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
                  INDIAN WARRIORS
                  1926-2010

Comment

I have an AEM dryflow filter and love it. I agree that you don't cheap out on filters. I like the easy of cleaning for my dryflow and don't feel like spending $50 on a new one anytime soon.

Both are good filters (AEM vs K&N). Its all based on preference.
                    2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
                    GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
                    Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

sigpic

Comment

Most people on here probably have CRABS and therefore have a K&N. I like, others don't. I know there is a pretty massive debate over on the Bob is the oil guy (BITOG) forums if you care to look into it. Overall I feel that it is personal choice, and you can't go wrong with oiled or dry as long as you get a quality filter.

If you do go with something other than K&N let us know what you think!
                      Mods:
                      CRAB option 3 and FPU, iSimple Ipod integrator, Infinity Kappa 693.7i rear speakers, 50 front/20 rear window tint, gtp rims, Brembo brakes, Racingline STB/grounding kit, Intake Resonator Deleted, WAMS Tune.

Upcoming Mods:
                      more audio upgrades, racingline MMIs(waiting to be installed)

Comment

Im running the APC dry filter you can get from Pep Boys. I had a little issue awhile back with K&N. Im guessing one time I recharged it and I over oiled it (which I didnt think I did). I followed the instructions but some how the oil destroyed my MAF. $310 part I dont want to screw up again. so Im sticking with dry filters

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                        Originally posted by ahuhn
                        so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

For reference, I spent a ot of time wasted reading the Oil Adsorption vs. Dry filter debate.

This is pure opinion, but hear me out:

Yes, over-oiling can damage the MAF, but only if you over-oil. Also, MAF cleaner will fix the MAF assuming it's caught early enough.

My last car did not use a MAF, but it seems to me that the most prudent course of action is as follows:

Buy a spare paper filter fo use when cleaning/oiling your K&N or other Oil Adsportion filter.
                          Don't over-oil. Always let the filter st and self-wick for 24 hours.
                          If you do get an over-oiled filter, or if you over-oil it, let it sit for longer with some kind of absorbing media to suck out any ecess oil from the rubber frame and the pleats (paper towels work). Change often or when they get saturated.
                          Go light on the throttle after you install.
                          A week after you install the filter would be a good time to use some MAF cleaner and clean your MAF. Even if the MAF doesn't need it...it sure as hell can't hurt.
                          "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                          ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                          SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Working...
                          X