X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a lower ball joint replacement write up quickly

I need to replace my ball joint on my passengers side of my car

I received the part in the mail and need this done

I was assuming it was just a few bolts, however after receiving the parts I found the ball joint is not threaded.
    Is this just a press fit?
    How do I remove the other and install the new control arm?

Is it just a matter of prying the old out and pressing the new on?
    There are no clips, or pins?

THANKS IN ADVANCE , Photo's would be awesome too, but not needed
    15% tint front windows, 5% rear sides,rear,and windshield banner. red brake calipers. slotted and drilled rotors. 3 million l.e.d. underbody light kit (seldom used). 18" solstice rims with 245/40/18. Hammerhead spoiler. 2 10" eclipse subs in a sealed box. Monsoon stereo. Acoustic amps.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3300730

Originally posted by vballchic1023
    Being bent over the hood on a back road is fun as well

Re: I need a lower ball joint replacement write up quickly

Are you talking about the ball joint that's connected to the strut, with what looks like a bolt and a nut holding it together. If that's it, then this should help.

EDIT: I'd really recommend air tools to quickly remove the ball joint.

PONTIAC G6 Ball Joints

Description: A PONTIAC G6 ball joint consists primarily of two components a hardened-steel, ball stud and socket enclosed in a steel housing. The ball stud is attached to the steering knuckle and the socket with steel housing is attached to the control arm. A protective boot prevents dirt from entering the ball joint assembly. Ball joints are used on the front end of virtually every car and light truck.

Purpose: PONTIAC G6 Ball joints serve as the pivot points between the steering knuckle and lower and upper control arm suspension. This pivot action allows the suspension to travel up and down and tires to turn left to right. Ball joints support the entire weight of the vehicle.

Maintenance Tips/Suggestions: Most vehicles use permanently lubed ball joints that can not be lubricated. Aftermarket replacement ball joints often come with lubrication fittings. If your vehicle has lubrication fittings, the ball joints should be lubricated at every oil change. PONTIAC G6 ball joints, along with other suspension components, should be inspected annually. PONTIAC G6 ball joints can be checked for excessive side to side and, up and down play. Methods to check excessive play and amount of play vary; you should follow the manufactures procedures and specifications.

Failure symptoms: With use ball joints wear out causing play between the ball and socket joint. The most common vehicle symptoms associated with worn ball joints are wandering, uneven tire wear, and erratic steering. PONTIAC G6 ball joints can occasionally squeak when the vehicle turns or travel over bumps.

WARNING: If a ball joint fails, the suspension can collapse causing a loss of control.

AKA: Lower ball joint, upper ball joint, UBJ, LBJ

Location: Ball joints are located in the front suspension an inch or so behind the front tire. The lower ball joint is the pivot joint between the lower control arm and steering knuckle. The upper ball joint, if you have one is the pivot joint between the upper control arm and steering knuckle.

Here's the site. http://www.discountautoparts.com/aut...all-Joint.html
    "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Ok, quick and dirty, ready?

Explore taking it off by just starting to disconnect things. Take it off and replace it. Pray to God you remember the order and what you took off and do that in reverse.

There.

Do I get a gold star?
      2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
      1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
        Are you talking about the ball joint that's connected to the strut, with what looks like a bolt and a nut holding it together. If that's it, then this should help.

EDIT: I'd really recommend air tools to quickly remove the ball joint.

PONTIAC G6 Ball Joints

Description: A PONTIAC G6 ball joint consists primarily of two components a hardened-steel, ball stud and socket enclosed in a steel housing. The ball stud is attached to the steering knuckle and the socket with steel housing is attached to the control arm. A protective boot prevents dirt from entering the ball joint assembly. Ball joints are used on the front end of virtually every car and light truck.

Purpose: PONTIAC G6 Ball joints serve as the pivot points between the steering knuckle and lower and upper control arm suspension. This pivot action allows the suspension to travel up and down and tires to turn left to right. Ball joints support the entire weight of the vehicle.

Maintenance Tips/Suggestions: Most vehicles use permanently lubed ball joints that can not be lubricated. Aftermarket replacement ball joints often come with lubrication fittings. If your vehicle has lubrication fittings, the ball joints should be lubricated at every oil change. PONTIAC G6 ball joints, along with other suspension components, should be inspected annually. PONTIAC G6 ball joints can be checked for excessive side to side and, up and down play. Methods to check excessive play and amount of play vary; you should follow the manufactures procedures and specifications.

Failure symptoms: With use ball joints wear out causing play between the ball and socket joint. The most common vehicle symptoms associated with worn ball joints are wandering, uneven tire wear, and erratic steering. PONTIAC G6 ball joints can occasionally squeak when the vehicle turns or travel over bumps.

WARNING: If a ball joint fails, the suspension can collapse causing a loss of control.

AKA: Lower ball joint, upper ball joint, UBJ, LBJ

Location: Ball joints are located in the front suspension an inch or so behind the front tire. The lower ball joint is the pivot joint between the lower control arm and steering knuckle. The upper ball joint, if you have one is the pivot joint between the upper control arm and steering knuckle.

Here's the site. http://www.discountautoparts.com/aut...all-Joint.html

You got the part right I just haven't seemed to have found a good how-to for removal and install of the control arm part itself, however thanks Man!
        15% tint front windows, 5% rear sides,rear,and windshield banner. red brake calipers. slotted and drilled rotors. 3 million l.e.d. underbody light kit (seldom used). 18" solstice rims with 245/40/18. Hammerhead spoiler. 2 10" eclipse subs in a sealed box. Monsoon stereo. Acoustic amps.

Comment

undo the bolts that hold teh control arm in then install new control arm tighten bolts and go

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Ok there Was no good how-to for the ball joint and I changed mine out today:

So here we go,

NEED TO CHANGE A FRONT LOWER BALL JOINT:

RIGHT LOWER BALL JOINT / CONTROL ARM

1. REMOVE TIRE

2. ON CONTROL ARM REMOVE THE REAR TWO BOLTS HOLDING IT ON

3. REMOVE THE BOLT ON THE SPINDLE HOLDING THE BALL JOINT IN PLACE

4. REMOVE THE LAST BOLT ON THE FRONT OF THE CONTROL ARM

*** TO REMOVE THE LAST BOLT YOU NEED TO UNBOLT THE TWO BOLTS HOLDING THE ENGINE MOUNT IN PLACE,

MOVE THE PLASTIC GUARD, PLACE A PRY BAR UNDER THE MOUNT AND PRY UPWARD, WIGGLE THE BOLT FREE AND THEN REMOVE THE CONTROL ARM***

5. CLEAN THE SPINDLE HOLE THAT IS GOING TO ACCEPT THE NEW BALL JOINT MAKING SURE THERE ARE NO BURRS

6. BEGIN TO INSTALL THE NEW CONTROL ARM, BY STARTING TO FIT IT INTO PLACE

7. START THE BOLTS IN THE REAR GETTING THE NUTS STARTED

8. REPLACE THE BOLT IN THE FRONT THAT NEEDED THE MOUNT MOVED TO WIGGLE FREE

9. REPLACE THE ENGING MOUNT BOLTS

10. PLACE THE PLASTIC COVER BACK IN PLACE
            11. NOW THE FUN PART, LINE THE BALL JOINT ITSELF UP WITH THE HOLE IN THE SPINDLE
            12. GET THE BALL JOINT STARTED AND GENTLY HAMMER AND JACK IT UP INTO PLACE
            13. REPLACE THE BOLT ON THE SPINDLE HOLDING THE BALL JOINT IN (PINCH BOLT)
            14. TIGHTEN ALL THE BOLTS AND INSPECT ALL THE PARTS
            15. REPLACE TIRE
            16. LOWER JACKS AND GO FOR A RIDE, OF COURSE TO TEST THE NEW BALL JOINT
            ( I SUGGEST HIGH SPEED DRIVING AND FAST CORNERS, ALONG WITH HARD BRAKING AND EVASION OF POLICE, THIS WILL PROPERLY TEST THE NEW PARTS)

Comment

would really make your write up a little more pretty.

And I read somewhere in there, "*** TO REMOVE THE LAST BOLT YOU NEED TO UNBOLT THE TWO BOLTS HOLDING THE ENGINE MOUNT IN PLACE", yeah that's nothing about what I was refering to as the Ball Joint.
              "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

I also have to replace my passanger side lower control arm...I have a mechanic friend...going to see what he would charge me to do the labor...I found the part at Advanced Auto or AutoZone for $103.00. In this case is it better to pay more for the Duralast brand; which is $198.00. Is this a case of "you get what you pay for"?
                Kicker KS 6930's 3-Way Rear
                Kicker DS 650's 2-Way Front
                Silver Star 4000k Low Beams
                CRAB Intake : Full System Upgrade and Resonator Removed
                Racingline : Engine Ground Kit
                30% Tint Sides and Rear & Windshield Strip
                Interior Door Trim at Handles and Driver Side Switch Housing : Black
                Pontiac Dart Overlays : Front, Back and Steering Wheel : Black
                Headlight Tint and Eyelids : Black, and Tinted Tails
                Partial DeBadge : GM Badges Removed
                Chrome Exhaust Tip

Comment

In my experience, Duralast stuff is junk. May have a lifetime warranty but you'll need it.

Comment

Bam, sorry for not posting pics along with my quick write up, I was going to but the batteries were dead when I went to grab the first pic, and by the time I realized it there was too much grease on my hands for me to care about going to get more or using my phone. I just wanted my car done. Maybe if I have time this week I will go back and take some

Comment

I also have another question for this topic..."if one is gone out, should you just chamge out the other side while your at it"? Also, you should get a front-end alignment when finished.
                      Kicker KS 6930's 3-Way Rear
                      Kicker DS 650's 2-Way Front
                      Silver Star 4000k Low Beams
                      CRAB Intake : Full System Upgrade and Resonator Removed
                      Racingline : Engine Ground Kit
                      30% Tint Sides and Rear & Windshield Strip
                      Interior Door Trim at Handles and Driver Side Switch Housing : Black
                      Pontiac Dart Overlays : Front, Back and Steering Wheel : Black
                      Headlight Tint and Eyelids : Black, and Tinted Tails
                      Partial DeBadge : GM Badges Removed
                      Chrome Exhaust Tip

Comment

Originally posted by G6FortWayne
                        I also have another question for this topic..."if one is gone out, should you just chamge out the other side while your at it"? Also, you should get a front-end alignment when finished.
                        I think its advisable to change out both sides, but not necessary.
                        Mods: Tint, Resonator Delete, K&N Filter, GT-R Exhaust, GXP rear bumper, Debadged

Comment

An alignment is a good idea whenever you replace any suspension or steering part. It may be ok or only off a little, but you may not know until your tires start to show uneven wear.

Comment

There I made the ball joint write up all pretty like, I'm not sure if anyone wants to place arrows to all the points I am speaking of but there it is!

Comment

Okay I took my g6 to the dealer for an oil change last week only cause I got the 4 oil changes for a year for free. Anyways they told me I needed front lower control arms on both sides. Which is odd cause my car only has about 80,000 miles on it but I do live in Illinois and we have alot of potholes.

My question is what is a good brand for the lower control? Is dorman a good brand?

Comment

Working...
                              X